This Disappears When Logged In

The Plot Thickens...

Discussion in 'African Fat-tailed Geckos' started by jengal, Feb 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jengal

jengal Elite Member

I looked up more breeding info, and found some abdominal pics of a gravid leo. So, I check out my AFT, and lo and behold, she has two quite well developed eggs already in there. This gives rise to a very important question: Should I separate them so he quits having sex with her while she's already pregnant? The eggs are about the size of unshelled almonds - one white, the other sort of reddish. Input?

Jennifer

2. venus

venus Founding Member

Yes they need to be seperated and she might drop them soon if they are that big already. I'd get that incubator ready. She will retain the sperm and drop eggs quite often, lol.

3. jengal

jengal Elite Member

Marsha: I'm on my way out the door to get one, but I need to know whether to buy one that 'turns them'. There are two diff. ones available at the store I'm going to, don't know which one I need. Thanks!

Jennifer

4. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

NO NO NO....reptile eggs must never be turned once layed...a bit diff with geckos but never turn your herps eggs once layed you will drown the embryos! good luck

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

No you do not want to turn the eggs, the baby will die.

6. jengal

jengal Elite Member

Thanks so much! Your advice means the world to me. I'm headed out the door... May have more questions when I get the thing. BTW, I just looked again and there appear to be 3 eggs, not 2 as I had thought. What will I do with them! Oh well, cross that bridge when I come to it. A little colony might be quite nice!

7. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

3 eggs...WOW!

8. venus

venus Founding Member

Sorry I didnt get to reply,,,I was acutally working, lol. Glad to see Merlin and Dev helped ya out.

9. jengal

jengal Elite Member

10. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That wont work for you Jen. It states in the description that it is not designed for U.S electrical currents.

They do make U.S versions though as I use the fanless Hovabator for my leo eggs. (Until my fridge dies and I can make a fridgebator. :) )

11. nicole

nicole Elite Member

A fridgebator?????:confused:

12. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

Yea you turn your fridge into an incubator... Its kinda cool to see em... People get pretty creative with it... I seen one with snakes painted on the door

13. nicole

nicole Elite Member

I dont breed so I usually dont pay much attention to that kind of stuff, lol. But that is pretty amusing to think about, lol

14. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

fridgebator......my fav method! always on the look out for broken fridges lol

15. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If you stop and think about the amount of insulation,... it makes perfect sense!

16. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

That's pretty neat!:)

17. jengal

jengal Elite Member

Rich: You're right. E-bay also has the US model, but I accidentally posted the wrong link.

In the mean time, I found one that I can buy locally, as in, today. Here is the info page:

Still Air Egg Incubator with Electric Controls Horse Supplies

What I'm wondering is whether " built-in moisture rings" are adequate for controlling humidity, or is there some other humidity control feature that I need to find?

Also, I can buy separately an adapter kit for smaller eggs. Do I need that too, or is there a way to get around it? They don't have this add-on in stock, but I could order it on-line.

Finally, do I need vermiculite as well? If so, what do I do with it?

It's screamingly obvious that I'm ignorant about this, but we really love Mocha, and feel that the right thing to do is to give her babies a chance. So, I'm bombarding you guys with questions. Do let me know if I wear out my welcome. :)

Jennifer

18. venus

venus Founding Member

Do you have a local feed store. I'm not sure about the built in moisture ring, it may keep the vermiculite to wet. The one you are buying is kinda expensive compared to the chicken ones at the feed store or a Hovabator.

19. jengal

jengal Elite Member

I called the manufacturer, and the temperature range for the 9200 is 82º to 105º.

Also, I found this info on the AFT care sheet on this site:

"If using a substrate like slate, tile, etc., you will need to add a moist hide. Moist hides will create a humid chamber for your Aft, and will also double as an egg laying box for your gravid females if you will be breeding these wonderful lizards."

What do you think about that?

Jennifer Gal

20. venus

venus Founding Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.