This Disappears When Logged In

The Bugs!!!!

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by Poison, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Poison

Poison Elite Member

The beautiful dubia
    P1040129_zpsc82ef5b7.jpg

The mean hissers! (the males ram my fingers lol)
    P1040429_zps519bbe5c.jpg

blatta lateralis (Red Runners)
    P1040703_zpsad7256fc.jpg

Panchlora nivea (Banana Roach)
    P1040684_zps74ecdd8e.jpg

Oxyhaloa duesta (Red-Head Roach)
    P1040701_zps673dc052.jpg

Gyna lurida "Yellow" (Cant wait for these to mature!)
    P1040696_zps5573b873.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Poison

Poison Elite Member

And the isopods

Porcellio scaber
    P1040697_zps7999ad7c.jpg

Trichorhina tomentosa (Dwarf White Isopod)
    P1040391_zps5bc8725a.jpg

Armadillidium vulgare
    P1040699_zps92eac6bf.jpg

Attached Files:

3. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

gorgeous pictures!! thank you so much for sharing. I personally think the banana roaches are almost too pretty to feed!

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Nice, but my pets would be fatherless if my wife found all that in our house. Took me 3 months to convince her to let me have the dubias.

5. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

Dark bird I am in agreement with your wife lol. And I am the reptile woman in the house lol. My husband would not like the bugs either:)

6. Poison

Poison Elite Member

The bananas are just for fun/pets. And thank you :)

7. Poison

Poison Elite Member

Haha, it took me a while to convince myself that roaches were the better feeder for my pets but now I cant stop :p

8. millerpj

millerpj Elite Member

I have what looks like this Gyna lurida "Yellow" in my dubia's. There is just one and I've wondered why it looked different.

9. Poison

Poison Elite Member

Got any pics? You can't really tell if they are a "yellow" until they are adults or if you know the adults were yellows.

10. Poison

Poison Elite Member

Got my first mature Gyna lurida

P1040957_zps88039649.jpg

Attached Files:

11. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Whoot that's the roach (blatta lateralis (Red Runners)) I have been trying to look for the name for a while.

12. jarich

jarich Elite Member

Have you found a different level of preference for the various isopods regarding heat? My scabers were really thriving until the summer temperatures raised the ambient levels in my enclosures about 5 degrees. Now I can barely find any of them, but the dwarfs are like rabbits.

13. Poison

Poison Elite Member

Can't really help with the scabers. I found a prego female and she gave birth but I've never bred them.

For the dwarfs I just put their container on top of a uvb fixture and they seem to be taking off in numbers. Same with the Armadillidium vulgare though they don't seem to breed as fast.

14. Poison

Poison Elite Member

15. jarich

jarich Elite Member

Those are cool man. Ive been looking into scarab and rhino beetles lately. You can find some pretty ones here in the States, surprisingly. I had no idea we had such colourful scarabs here.

16. Poison

Poison Elite Member

We have rhino beetles out here? I've never seen any. I would love to get into beetles though. I've seen a lot og beautiful ones for sale like the Gymnetis caseyi

17. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

I've started to enjoy roaches more and more. It's really hard to understand people considering them creepy when you enjoy watching them. I wouldn't mind starting a few extra colonies of different species as pets.

18. jarich

jarich Elite Member

Dynastes tityus live out east here from New York all the way down to Florida. Dynastes granti live out west around Arizona and Utah. There are apparently other species but Ive never seen them for sale anywhere.

Have you seen Phanaeus scarabs?! They are really cool looking beetles (called rainbow beetles), with loads of metallic green and reds and big horns. There are some other awesome scarabs too.

I was even looking into Tiger beetles. I dont think you can really keep them together though without them fighting all the time. Mean little carnivores. Was thinking of putting them in the dragon enclosure to clean up all the stupid crickets I have breeding in there now. I love my bioactive substrate, but the crickets have pretty much exploded and destroyed all the springtails and isopods. Hate crickets.

19. Poison

Poison Elite Member

I've seen them for sale online but never seen any in person. They are definitely a beautiful species. I would love to get some of those as well.

I just googled the Tiger beetles and they look a lot like flies lol. I'm with you on crickets. I hate them too. Only reason I like them is because they are not as shy as most roach species and they are good for arboreal species as the crickets like to climb too and even bask so they stay out in the open.

20. jarich

jarich Elite Member

Hmmm like flies? Not sure what you mean actually. The Great Plains Tiger beetle is an awesome looking bad $&@! Look that one up. Talk about a brutal looking hunter. I'd actually be a bit worried about that guy running around my dragon tank. Monitor would take him easy enough but not sure about the dragons. ;)