This Disappears When Logged In

Thawed Mice Vs Live Mice

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by CountTripula, May 28, 2011.

1. CountTripula

CountTripula Elite Member

My boyfriend and I keep debating about this he said live is better for them and i think thawed ones are best for them any opinions? Which ever is best of course i will choose that one. so please put your experience/opinion.

2. DimitrisDaisy

DimitrisDaisy Elite Member

Feeding live is risky because the mouse can gnaw on the snake and may even kill it. Frozen/thawed is best

3. Knox

Knox Elite Member

Ask any large scale breeder, like the guys at BHB. They all feed frozen/thawed for most of their snakes.

And thousands of snakes are healthy and breeding very nicely.

4. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

Ditto, F/T is the way to go...nutritionally the same, and no risk whatsoever of having your snake harmed/killed when being fed..

5. CountTripula

thanks all

6. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

7. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

Not only do you avoid the risk injury when feeding f/t but, it's also more humane.

8. CountTripula

True but I look at it as its just a part of the food chain. But I'm just more worries about the snake getting hurt.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And as a part of the food chain it, at times, works the other way around.
    The prey becomes the predator.
    Stick with dead.

10. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

So true Merlin!
    The snake has no where to go to get away from them. Its like having a dog on a leash, he is vulnerable, and ends up having a nasty disposition and may even be hurt or killed. The snake is not in its natural habitat where he can flee, so there is nothing natural about feeding live to snake that doesn't have the room to defend himself. Just my opinion!

11. DimitrisDaisy

DimitrisDaisy Elite Member

And when the option to have frozen is available, it really does just seem a little cruel to feed live when you don't have to.

12. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

True but, think about it, the mouse has no where to go to get away from the snake either. That's why I feed f/t cause it's more humane for the mouse and you avoid the risk of the snake getting injured.

13. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

They are both in a bad position, also rodents can carry bugs! I totally agree with f/t,

14. crepers86

crepers86 Elite Member

I really see no problem with feeding live, I also dont leave my snakes an attended niether if I feel the rodent is about to harm my snake I move or remove. Iv read diferrent stories on parisites in f/t that can grow when the rodent is thawing, also the nutrients in the rodent are dormet and not constantly reproducing. Plus iv heard freezing them kills of some nutrients as well just like when we freeze our food vs fresh.. Now im not against frozen my baby will take to both and I keep frozen mice incase I cant get a live because its cheaper