This Disappears When Logged In

Thanks, Maillman, I Wanted Dead Roaches...

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by CentriRitanni, Jul 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CentriRitanni

CentriRitanni Elite Member

It is funny... the money and dead bugs aren't, but the situation is. I'm waiting to hear back from CNS. We were having a fairly quick back and forth, and once I brought up the postal issue, he stopped responding (I don't know that he's ignoring me or anything, just that it was odd that he suddenly stopped responding, though he may just be doing other things).

Try this for funny: standing in the post office on crutches with a large brace on over pajama pants (with crocs on, naturally) holding a bag of roaches and complaining because they were dead.

2. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

ha ha :D

3. CentriRitanni

Oh, I should mention that the pajama pants are green and have Mario riding Yoshi all over them, and the crocs are orange. I am the epitome of subtlety. :-"

4. CentriRitanni

ABDragons has apologized for the mishap and officially refunded my purchase, which I appreciate. He also said he will reconsider his shipping methods. :)

Now just to wait to see what CNS will say...

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What is "CNS"?

6. CentriRitanni

They sell bugs online. And apparently ignore people. Oh well. Someone on here recommended them (can't remember who), and they were fairly inexpensive... expensive for dead bugs, but perhaps that's a separate issue. https://www.facebook.com/groups/386911501320751/

I found someone who is clearing his tarantula collection, and he's going to sell me his dubias once the tarantulas are gone (by sight, he has approximately 500 and was excited when I offered him $20 because he was planning on just giving them to the person who bought the last tarantula), so at least that is resolved (I still don't have enough to feed, but at least the biggest eater has been rehomed).

Last communication with CNS was at 2pm yesterday, and they have been active on facebook since then. Here's the conversation:

Jacci
    I received the roaches today, and they were all dead.

Cns Feeders
    How hot was it where you are?

Jacci
    85F
    They were never left outside. They were delivered just before 11, and they were brought to the door by the postwoman.

Cns Feeders
    Unfortunately with temps above 85 I can not guarantee live delivery. I really do hate doing this, but I can't be responsible for high temps. When high temps are present, the box should have been held at the post office. If you ever decide to order again, when lower temps are present, remind me and I'll hook you up with the ones that died.

Sorry for the inconvenience

Jacci
    "when lower temps are present, remind me and I'll hook you up with the ones that died. " What does that mean?

Cns Feeders
    When its not so hot out, I will add 100 med dubia to your next order.

Jacci
    Oh. Well I'm kind of at a loss, because there is never really a day in Oklahoma that I can guarantee it will not be over 85F or under 40F. The postwoman brings any package directly to the door, and since neither the holding area nor the mail truck are air conditioned, I'm not certain how holding it in the post office would have made a difference. I'm really not trying to be rude or anything, I'm just kind of stuck. I talked to the postmaster who informed me there is nothing they can do about it because the package should have been shipped express and marked either "Live animal" or "Do not place in direct sun or heat", which is not the case.

I'm not sure what to do here. I would definitely like dubias, and everyone tells me to get them from CNS, but there really is not a day in Oklahoma that the temperature can be guaranteed between 40F-85F, and given I already have an arrangement for the postwoman to deliver to the door, I don't know how much more secure I can get, since the mail holding area at the post office is not air conditioned either. And I do appreciate your offer to add on, but if I can't guarantee a day of proper temperature, I'm not sure how that would be effective.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Sounds shady to me. Every live feeder supplier I ever used guaranteed live delivery. THEY are in the business of shipping live and should take into account what the conditions are that they will be shipping to.

8. CentriRitanni

Agreed. It was only $15, but all the same, it should have been shipped express in the first place but doubly so since it's summer...

9. Mulder

Mulder Well-Known Member

I just got an order from CNS myself. I wasn't very impressed with what they sent. I'd asked for eight ADULT females, and two ADULT males. I got two adult males, three adult females, and five very large nymphs. Three of those nymphs appear to actually be males, based on that final body segment. In addition, I was told they'd be shipped first thing Monday morning. They shipped Wednesday. I'd also e-mailed them before placing the order, asking if it was possible to get an order of all nymphs under 1/2". He quoted me a price, and I said that was great, and sent my payment. Well, I have maybe a dozen that are small enough for my anoles. I also lost about a dozen in the box, and there's another five or six I don't expect to survive. I'm in Michigan, same state that CNS is, and I won't be ordering from them again.

I had far better luck with theroachguy.com than CNS. He guarantees his dubias live up to 90F, which makes more sense to me, since they are tropical. The ones I ordered from him were active and I haven't had a single death in the two months I've had them. He ships priority mail, though. That's still going to be three days in transit.

10. CentriRitanni

CNS has still yet to respond, which is somewhat ridiculous to me. At least it was only $16, but all the same, no offer to refund, only compensation upon further order. Why would I give you more money if you messed it up the first time?

11. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I order mine from reptilefood.com. they have been awesome. They ship ups next day. Takes a day to confirm and then they send an email stating its been shipped.

12. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I just realized they don't sell dubia roaches. Can you tell I don't feed these? Lol.

13. DragonsKeepers

DragonsKeepers Subscribed User Premium Member

Yeah, I use them for crickets, mealworms, and and small superworms. A lot dead, but the over count seems to usually cover it. Only a couple issues, but either got replaced or credited. But, yes, no dubias . :(

14. CentriRitanni

The "credit" thing is frustrating to me... I live in Oklahoma, the temp can--and does--swing from 75F and sunny to 20F and snowing in 14 hours... It can also go from 75F and sunny to a 115F heat index... I have no way to control that, so the SOL method they use is less than thrilling. :/ Glad I didn't make my big order through them. And before anyone asks why I'm having them shipped if the weather can be so erratic, I must point out that I've had many insects shipped through the mail and it has never been a problem... Except with dubias, because for whatever reason people think they should be shipped priority instead of express...

15. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

When I ordered my Dubia they were also shipped 3 day mail. They got to me without a single casualty. I would have been furious if they were left in my mailbox on a hot day and all died because of the mail service especially because they were marked as live animals (Mine were marked Live Worms).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.