This Disappears When Logged In

Thank Goodness!!!!

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by Og_, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

I have had a jungle carpet for some time now. But he has gone for so long only eating mice. He has gotten large enough to eat small rats for some time now, But when I first started feeding rats, He would smell them and then ignore them because, I am guessing, They didn't smell like the normal mice that he had been getting.
    He would always go right up to any food item and flick it with his tongue and if it didn't smell just like the last meal, he would ignore it.

Well Finally, He is taking small rats while in the past he would take 1 maybe 2 mice. This is the first time that he has a large bulge in his body, Not that the size of the bulge matters!

I am hopefull that "Shag" will start to go through another growth spurt! He's only about 2 to 3 years old, though I will have to go back through my records to be sure.

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I haven`t noticed you mentioning you had a Carpet python before, they`re great snakes! I`m glad he`s started to feed on larger prey now, yes, I too think it was probably the different scent that made him refuse to take the rats before now. Do you have any photos you can put up, and how big is he just now?

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

That great news Greg! Shag must feel more satisfied after taking a rat, I'm sure in the snake world the size of the bulge matters!
    How come we never get to see pictures of Shag???? would love a picture or two of him, they are such beautiful snakes! Thanks in advance for showing us pictures of him.:)

4. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

That's fantastic! It is always a joy when they move from one prey item to a larger one. I remember being so excited about one of my ball pythons went from mice to rats. I think maybe you are right about the smell.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

My JCP was apparently fed live before I got him. Live Mice. He is pretty small for his age, and though I did get him to convert to frozen, he still prefers mice over rats. I have, however, been able to poke rat noses into his mouth as he finishes swallowing his mice, and have had some luck with this.

6. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

I've posted pics before, But it's been some time. Until I get new pics, everyone will just have to go back through the old threads to see them.
    Or, You can go to the "Photos" section of HC and you can see every pic that I have ever uploaded to this site. Just look at the top of every page and you will see "Photos" along with many other links. Click on it and then click on "HCN member categories" and then you can see every members pics alphabetically.

7. Sunobius

Sunobius Well-Known Member

Awesome, that's great news! I really lucked out with Nibbler. He has yet to refuse a feeding, and just had his first small rat last week. It's my understanding that JCPs just like mice a whole lot, and getting them switched over to rats can be a hassle, so I bet your wearin' a big grin right now!

8. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Well, not a big grin but a big sigh of relief! I tried rats long ago when he was big enough to take them, But he never would and he has stagnated at the length he was then(About 5 feet long).

I've seen pictures of JCP's that are much longer and thicker.

9. Sunobius

Sunobius Well-Known Member

Well I certainly hope the new diet spurs on a little growth spurt for him.