This Disappears When Logged In

Terrible Chemical Smell

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by Mrose199, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Mrose199

Mrose199 Member

I bought a new hide for my Ball Python a few weeks ago off of Amazon. Its the Exo-Terra XL, natural looking hide? Very basic. Nothing special just a glorified bowl with a hole in it. When I first got it there was an awful chemical smell, kind of like a resin glue smell. I aired it out around the house for a few weeks. Mostly because it needed to be sanded in some parts before I put it in with my snake and I hadn't gotten to it. Just today I sanded it down and washed it 3 times. It still stinks. I'm not sure what to do. How do I get the smell out? Is it even safe for my snake? Has anyone else experienced this problem?

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Well, can't say I've ever had this problem, But if you can smell anything from it I wouldn't use it yet. Maybe leave it set in the sun outside for a few weeks, and maybe that will cure whatever is off-gassing from it. Or send it back. Wish I had a better suggestion for you.

3. Gaaaaaaaaaard

Gaaaaaaaaaard Elite Member

Maybe try boiling or near boiling it? Or soak it in a diluted vinegar solution for a bit. Letting it sit in the sun doesn't sound like a bad blab either though.

4. Mrose199

Mrose199 Member

I will try and soak it then leave it outside for a while. Thank you for your suggestions! I don't think I can send it back because I sanded it but I am going to try and email them to see if I can get a new one. Thank you so much!