This Disappears When Logged In

Terrariums For Three Toed Box?

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by toadkiller dog, Mar 5, 2018.

1. toadkiller dog

toadkiller dog New Member

I adopted a set of Three Toed Box turtles many years ago as a kid, which I setup in a massive outside enclosure back in California. I had to leave them behind with my family when I moved out to Arizona, but one of the males has proven to be an aggressive bully, so he'll be coming to live with me. I have plenty of space inside my apartment for one turtle, and I originally planned on setting him up inside a large tote next to my crested gecko, like I did when I first adopted the turtles.
    But, an old friend just offered me a large 55 gallon terrarium, previously used for bearded dragons, that would make monitoring and interacting with the turtle a lot easier than an opaque bin. I also need to monitor humidity and temperature much more out here, and I've read glass terrariums retain both better. I have read a few sources claim that clear terrariums bother turtles due to the constant movement outside, but I include hides and houses anyways, so would this be a problem? They already live with only a screen separating them from the rest of the yard. Would this glass terrarium work, so long as there's plenty of hides? Are there any other concerns between the two? Any help would be appreciated, I'd only be considered a beginner-intermediate on this.
  2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

If this is a standard 55gal fish tank, I would pass. They don't offer much floor space, so you'd be better off building something yourself, especially if this is going to be a permanent home for the turtle.
  3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Ok a bit of clarification please.
    Are you talking about something for outside or inside the house?