This Disappears When Logged In

Terrarium Coffee Table

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by Shannah, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Shannah

Shannah Member

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, how would you fit the heat/lighting inside?

3. Shannah

Shannah Member

Hello! Because my room temp is usually around 75, and red eyed skinks only needs temp of 70-80, I believe I wouldn't need lighting. However, I'm sure I could add a heating pad to the bottom for a warm(er) side!

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I (mostly) accept your explanation, but won`t you need to provide UVB?

5. Shannah

Shannah Member

Yes, however, I've never seen mine basking in his spot, which doesn't mean he doesn't need it, and doesn't mean he's not using it when I can't see, but isn't that why I dust his food in calcium? I'm genuinely asking; many people say because they are nocturnal, they don't need UVB.

6. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

I personally love the idea. (Btw make sure it's calcium + d3)
    Only major issue i see, is that it's a glass coffee table. So the lizard might be quite stressed with cups clanging constantly.
    I always like the idea of a temp gradient. So I recommend some (even if very minor) kind of heating element, so the lizard can get warm and comfy when it wants to on one side.
    Just my two cents!:rolleyes:

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I only know what I`ve read about them online, I`ve never kept them. I understand they`re crepuscular rather than "nocturnal" so it`s quite possible they might bask at times in the wild (as do some crepuscular geckos).
    Supplements are mostly pure guesswork, easy to over/under do. If you wanted to offer UVB you can add a 2-0 tube if you can find a way to fix it inside.
    Edit: I forgot to ask; what do you keep him in now, and can you show a few photos of the setup and lizard?

8. iRene

iRene Elite Member

It is my understanding that UVB aids in the digestion and absorption of the calcium. Simply dusting is providing only part of what the animal needs. Even if your animal does not bask often it is best to offer the opportunity. Small tube fixtures are easy to add to almost any enclosure.

9. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

The uvb provides d3 which aids in calcium absorption. That's why the calcium + d3 supplement was recommended, as it provides what would be lacking from the uv exposure (Which nocturnal animals don't get much of even in the wild).