This Disappears When Logged In

Terrarium Brainstorm.

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by Dragoness, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I previously talked about setting up a carnivorous plant terrarium, and possibly adding an amphibian (or pair, if something compatible) to it. I derailed that plan when I found out that to properly winterize my Fly Traps, they would need to be sprayed with fungicide for their annual dormancy, which of course, is not compatible with amphibians.

Upon further research, The way I was doing dormancy (in the fridge, because I did not have other viable option where I was at) actually makes them prone to mold. Now that I am here in Michigan, I have a utility room that is cooler than the rest of the house, and gets indirect sunlight, perfect for fly trap dormancy, without having spray them with chemicals. The fly traps need to be there 3 months out of the year. I can either make them removable (from rest of terrarium) or have second terrarium available for my amphibians during the winter months, because they would not likely enjoy the temps in my utility room.

So, now that I figured out how to do carnivorous plants without the fungicides, I am once again brainstorming appropriate amphibians.

Over the winter, I will be setting up a 40 gallon terrarium, with a glass lid, and plenty of light (probably fluorescent) and a TON of humidity. The springtails, fruit flies, and other small insects would not only be food for the herp, but the plants as well.

I'm looking for something that absolutely will not dig, as I cannot have it digging into the roots and bulbs of the plants. It can be an arboreal species, but terrestrial would be very nice.

So far I am thinking of doing either dart frogs, or a small salamander. Open to suggestion, as I have plenty of time to figure out what (if any) amphibians I would like to inhabit this terrarium. Thanks for reading.

2. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Hmmm just as a refresher, what is going to be the basic temps/humidity of the terrarium?

Edit: The first terrestrial amphibian I thought about was this---
    http://www.frogforum.net/toad-care-...-stelzneri-weyenbergh-1875-care-breeding.html
    the bumblebee walking toad! Max size they get to is a little over an inch, so if they do burrow it might not be that much or do that much damage, I haven't found any info on them digging yet though! If it does turn out to be a big digger than that can be out!

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Before I stuck it in the utility room, humidity was never below about 82% (That was the lowest reading my hygrometer took). Temps ranged very little, but tended to be right around 72-78ºF with highest temps during day when lights were on the terrarium.

That thing was always fogging the glass. If I wanted to SEE my plants, I frequently had to wipe down the glass.

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

He's cute! it says he prefers a little less humidity than my current setup has, but that's a very adjustable factor. My plants don't need quite that much, though they don't seem to mind it.

5. purplemuffin

Yeah, I like them. They're like an alternative to poison dart frogs, haha!

I've actually been researching these plants myself, I have been hearing studies that they are often quite a bit stronger in slightly lower humidity levels(like, at least lower than when the stores put the cup over them!) since they aren't really from too humid of a place in nature. Might make it so you can have a toad and see the plants! :)

I don't really know of any smaller salamander species, except maybe fire belly newts. But can you have a big water area for animals that like to swim, or do you want totally terrestrial?

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Water area might be workable, but then I have to mess with filtration. Rather now.

There are a few local species of small salamander (under 4" total length) that are very pretty, but I don't want a WC animal. I have not seen or heard much of them being bred in captivity though :(

7. purplemuffin

I've found a few salamanders that are terrestrial, but they are mostly needing cold (like, don't go above 75 or they die) so I don't know how they would work.

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I'll have to look into it a LOT. I have all winter to do research. I could do a large water dish that is changed regularly if I end up with something semi-aquatic.