This Disappears When Logged In

Tell Me About Biting

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by heartreps, Dec 30, 2015.

1. heartreps

heartreps Member

ive been told it's very very rare to have a leopard gecko bite you. My son recently got his first gecko that we are told is a 2 year old female. She seems very tame and docile. My son has set her up and done well with her for the past few days but he is pretty nervous about making her angry and getting bitten. She has never appeared like she will bite but he is still nervous and unsure. I don't want him to stop handling her out of fear. Because then she may get more aggressive when he needs to handle her. So what's the best practice here? We want to respect her space but also keep her tame.

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Leos are pretty chill. The issue is your son's fear, which is completely normal. Maybe he can try handling her for 2 mins at a time. Once he's comfortable with 2 mins he can try 4 mins...you get the idea.
    Has he tried tong feeding her? You can purchase some large tweezers and he can feed her insects from them.

3. Buggy0123

Buggy0123 Established Member

Leopard geckos, as said above, are extremely chill. Ive never heard of or seen any one get bitten by a leo, but I wouldn't rule it out and still take caution. I think making it clear to your son that the little guy won't to any damage might help. Also what mshrmheadcharge said, handle her for short periods could help.

4. Kristof

Kristof Well Established Member

I've been bit by my leo's. Normally if i touch their cheek area though. Like the area of the mouth right by their ears. Other than that you won't ever be bitten. If you are, they have tiny teeth that just feels like a pinch.

5. arojas7112

arojas7112 Established Member

I agree with Kristof. I've been bitten by a leopard gecko but only if you touch the areas Kristof described. As long as your son stays away from her mouth, he will be just fine. They like to be massaged above their heads once in a while. Near their chin, or softly massage their legs. They can get nervous when you massage their backs.

Kristof likes this.
  6. Romeyrider

Romeyrider Well-Known Member

I am sure if you hold her and other people hold her you son will see that she is friendly. It's important to note that any animal can bite even if it is usually calm. There can always be that one factor that sparks a leo or any animal into biting. Don't tell your son she won't bite him, because if she does bite him he will never trust the leo or you again. Just tell him it's highly unlikely that she will bite him. And if she does happen to bite it is not that bad. Every pain goes away eventually.