This Disappears When Logged In

Tegu Has Green Bumps On Him .. What's Going On?

Discussion in 'Tegu' started by Amanda0322, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Amanda0322

Amanda0322 Member

I noticed today that my tegu has green bumps on him and the side of his mouth has a brown crust. And it has a bad smell. Any ideas what's going on?

Attached Files:

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Well the crust looks like it has substrate stuck to it's mouth. The bumps may be some minor scarring from injuries, but I can't be sure.

3. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

I would schedule a vet visit. Maybe some sort of parasite

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

This is one of those cases where anything we come up with would be a guess. A vet visit is in order.

Darkbird likes this.
  5. Amanda0322

Amanda0322 Member

I went to the pet store to speak with one of the reptile experts and she told me to bathe my tegu in salt water once a day and to put polysporen on him often.. if this does not work I'll go to the vet this week forsure but before I go ahead and listen to her advice what do you guys think about it? Can salt water be dangerous for the tegu ? And the polysporen?

6. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

First off, you'd be hard pressed to find a 'reptile expert' at a pet store. I'm sure they are some but most of them don't have a clue when it comes to an illness diagnosis.
    That's the first time I've ever heard of bathing in salt water. Plus how much salt in the water?
    Have you tried wiping the snout off at all?

I agree it's kind of odd. Reptiles don't have hair follicles so 'skin bumps' are not ordinary and can lead to abscesses.
    A reptile vet is required.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Do not do this. I have ran afoul of a number of "reptile experts" in shops. After talking to them for a couple of minutes it was plain that most of them had about reptile knowledge as a parakeet!

8. Amanda0322

Amanda0322 Member

I have an Appointment at the vet but it's on Monday.. I'm scared to wait a whole week.

9. Amanda0322

Amanda0322 Member

A tea spoon .. but I'm not sure about this .. another place told me oil but I don't see how that's going to even work.. I put him in water.. No salt just water and the thing on his mouth came off.. now it's only the bumps

10. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

The oil treatment is for mites... which this isn't mites. The salt water is for scale rot... but I don't think it's that either. I would just make sure he has fresh clean water to drink and leave him alone until Monday. He should be ok until then but let's not add any undue stress by doing baths or handling until we know exactly what this is.

11. Amanda0322

Amanda0322 Member

Ok thank you

12. Cactus Jones

Cactus Jones New Member

Well how did the vet trip go?