This Disappears When Logged In

Tegu Has Been Sleeping Since I Got Him.

Discussion in 'Tegu' started by Kota62, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Kota62

Kota62 Member

So, I bought a red tegu back in April. His name is Clifford. I have him in a 4' x 2' glass inclosure, with a basking light on one end and the UVB bulb sort of on the other/middle area. The basking temps range from 105-110 and the temp range in the tank is about 75 on the cool end to 80-90 on the warm end. I keep the humidity between 40-60%. I have to spray down his tank a few times a day because I live in a very hot, dry area. As I have said, I have had Clifford since April, but he has been sleeping almost the whole time. He ate a tiny bit when I first brought him home, but now he just sleeps in his hide. I was told this is normal and he will eventually come out and be active, but I am getting worried.

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, can you show a few photos of the whole enclosure and say how you`re measuring the temps and humidity?

3. Kota62

Kota62 Member

I am not currently home so can't send pictures at the moment but I am measuring temps with an IR temp gun and digital thermometers placed at each end. I am also using a digital gauge for measuring humidity.

murrindindi likes this.
  4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Photos might help whenever you can get them up...

5. Kota62

Kota62 Member

I was able to get home and snap a picture.

Attached Files:

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks for the photo. You will never be able to stabilise either the temps or humidity with the screen top, you need to cover it as completely as possible (kitchen foil will work temporarily). You should also provide a particulate substrate in the form of chemical free topsoil mixed with some playsand and tamped down very firmly (approx 70% soil to 30% sand).

TamJam likes this.
  7. Kota62

Kota62 Member

Okay, thank you. Do you think that is why he is sleeping all the time?

8. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

What and how much is he eating? Is he pooping regularly? Have you weighed him?

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I think the present conditions will have some effects on activity. I cannot see a basking area/object, where is it and what type and wattage are the heat/light bulbs? The UVB light should be close to the basking bulb so the animal gets the benefit of both at the same time.

10. Kota62

Kota62 Member

The mat directly underneath the light provides the high basking temp. Also the black hide is elevated and is partly hit by the basking lamp so it's a little hotter up there. I use a 60w Halogen bulb with a dimmer to obtain the backing temps because the light is so high up. I will move the uvb over. Currently moving into a home that is bigger so will be doing come cage recinficurtations and am planning to build him a bigger area. I was told to use this substrate mat thing because he

11. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Well, this one takes the cake.o_O