This Disappears When Logged In

Tarantula & Screen Top

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by billrogers, Nov 19, 2015.

1. billrogers

billrogers Established Member

So... I have a random question. If I put my Curyhair Tarantula in a 10 gal. with a simple metal screen top, would she be able to push it off? Ive heard they are pretty strong. I have a top like the one in the pic. 71V--idtDcL._SL1200_.jpg

2. Kolby Tannehill

Kolby Tannehill Well-Known Member

It can, also screen top are bad for tarantula they can get there claws stuck in the mesh. I suggest getting a medium critter keep for her. Lid looks on and the way the plastic top is ran they can't get stuck in them.

3. billrogers

I actually have her in a critter keeper at the moment :D I have a vacant 10 gal. and was thinking about setting her up a bigger and more natural-looking cage.

4. Kolby Tannehill

I see the critter keeper is what is best, if you want it a slight bit bigger you could get a larger one, but that may end up just stressing her out.

5. Kolby Tannehill

Large critter keeper are good for about 5 and a half to 8 inches, mid are good for about 3 and a half to 5 inches, small are good for 3 and below. The only one I would do a 10 gallon for if 8 and a half inches and up. And if it is arboreal I would get a mid exo tank.

6. billrogers

If there is nothing in her cage that will allow her to reach the top will she still find a way to get there?

7. Kolby Tannehill

All tarantula can climb straight up glass, some just chose not to most of the time.

8. billrogers

Oh, ok. Thanks for the help!

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

There are spring clips designed for those tops. Or you can use strips of Velcro.

10. Salty Rob

Salty Rob Active Member

I use lids like in the pic but with smaller holes so they can't escape. They have never gotten hung out trapped in the holes cause it's not like screen

Attached Files:

• th.jpeg
      th.jpeg
      File size:
      10.2 KB
      Views:
  11. billrogers

Are they custom made or is there a supplier?

Salty Rob likes this.
  12. Salty Rob

Salty Rob Active Member

I just bought it from a mom and pop pet store

13. Kolby Tannehill

I know this is old but do you know what that type of screen is called would like to look into them?