This Disappears When Logged In

Tarantula Interest/planted Tank

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by jen87, Nov 20, 2010.

1. jen87

jen87 Well-Known Member

Hey guys it's been a while - my turtle is doing very good.

I'm interested though in tarantulas and so now I need to ask all the right questions before I make a decision.

I've read about the different substrates and the lighting.

Could I make a planted tarantula tank (would any plants be harmful)?
    would the lighting make plant life difficult.

are there any special requirements that the pet stores website fail to tell me. nutritional things that are important or anything like that. other than crickets and the occasional pinky mouse.

would a 20 high. be too big?

are there any species that can be housed together(I may already know the answer but it doesn't hurt to ask)

I really like red knees they are beautiful. if nothing else brag about yours so I get an idea what I'm looking for. I don't really want an aggressive species and a hardy one would be good.

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If you are going off of a petstores website you may want to give us more information. I hate to knock petstores, but most of them angle their caresheets to push products at you. Its a business to them and every penny they can get from you counts.

You need to keep in mind that the care for each species of Tarantula will be depictive of where they come from in the wild. There is no "one caresheet for every tarantula."

3. jen87

jen87 Well-Known Member

I totally understand where you're coming from that's why I came to you guys because I've had pet stores tell me completely wrong information.

I've read about using vermiculite, potting soil, peat moss, or sand as a substrate for certain species.

I've read about avoiding basking type lighting and using specialized reptile lights for viewing nocturnal animals. But I think if light isn't a necessity then I will just not use any light.

I really like mexican red knee's I believe the other name is B.smithi so if you would like to curb your info to that particular tarantula that will work for now just so I can get an idea about what having one would need.

would it be okay to use a 20 gallon for that size of tarantula? could I make the tank planted whether it be desert plant or tropical. nutricinal needs. ect. :)

4. alicia123

alicia123 Elite Member

I am also interested in getting a tarantula and I also want to get a red knee, they are so pretty, and from what I have heard a pretty docile species. I have done alot of reading and I have heard that eco earth a coconut fiber substrate is good, and that a 20 gallon tank might be too big. But you might want to get some other peoples opinions.

5. jen87

jen87 Well-Known Member

it seems like it would be too big. I can always buy a cheap 5 gallon and get a screen lid for it.

6. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I don't have a Mexican Red Knee (Brachypelma smithi) but I know they come for the western Mexico and is easy to keep in relatively dry terrariums. A ten gal should be good.
    I have a Chilean Rose Hair Tarantula, I keep her in a ten gallon terrarium with a small under the tank heat pad in one corner, I use a shredded coco husk substrate about 4" deep for burrowing in and over the heat mat i have a hide with a bit of fake foliage to give her hide some privacy, on the opposite corner I have the water dish with a sponge so no accidental drownings, I mist the terrarium every night before I turn out the lights.
    The Mexican Red Knee is also terrestrial so they don't require a tall terrarium they will climb if allowed though and may fall and easily hurt themselves if allowed. Terrestrial types of tarantulas don't require as much humidity as arboreal types.
    Personally I would not keep more than one tarantula in a tank except for a brief time if breeding them. This is a link to the kit that I have for my gal, comes with everything, the only thing is I find that the background is best removed because crickets will tend to climb or dig there way to the other side and drive the tarantula crazy, plus she was climbing to the top and then hang upside down on the screen, made me a bit nervous. So I just took it out and was much better plus gives more floor space once removed.
    Exo Terra - Products : Habitat Kit Invertebrate

7. alicia123

alicia123 Elite Member

Yeah that would be good

8. mld

9. jen87

jen87 Well-Known Member

I like that terrarium mid. I thought about the chilean rose hair too because I read they were hardy and docile. If I choose a tarantula it would probably be either a rose hair or a red knee. so at least the habitats are similar. Thanks for the input ^_^

I like Ophilia her designs are really cool

10. mld

Ophilia is very handable, but like any tarantula they can get agitated and I always wear latex gloves when changing her substrate, just in case she left hair on the substrate. She has never kicked her hair either or shown her fang. We got her when she was very young and it fine with being handled regularly.

11. jen87

jen87 Well-Known Member

I was told it's a good idea to get them when they're young so i may try to find a young one. How often would you say they need to be fed and can you switch there diet up with meal worms and other edible insects. Do they just eat crickets?

12. mld

I wouldn't feed meal worms or super worm because they can hide in the substrate, but you can also feed roaches if they are allowed in your state. She ate a lot when she was young and growing like a weed, they will only eat what they need, the rest they will wrap up and put away for future time. in the wild there are times where food is not plentiful so if they get fed too much they will wrap and hide for those times. Now she really only eats once a week. I leave the cricket in there for a while with a piece of cardboard to hide in and some cricket food under the cardboard. If the cricket is still there in the morning, I take it out and wait for another few days before adding another cricket. You will know when they are hungry, as soon as you open the doors mine will come up the the doors and when the cricket goes in she will hunt for it. she will also make a funnel type of web at the entrance to her hide to alert her of any incoming crickets.

13. jen87

jen87 Well-Known Member

thats awesome that she waits at the doors. I'm going to have to make a list of everything i need for it and start setting things up

14. Varanid

Varanid Active Member

For any terrestrial tarantula under the 6-7 inch range a 10gal should be fine, but when you get up into the G. pulchra, or larger I would recommend at least a 15 gal if not a 20L. The 7gal squat tanks are ideal for ground dwelling tarantulas, because the can't climb up to high and injure the selves in a fall. If you start getting into arboreal types like the Avicularia, then a 20tall, or other tall tanks are in order. Keep in mind the fact that even the slightest fall can be deadly to the thicker bodied terrestrial characters, and to them floor space is more important. The arboreals do not care as much about floor space and need more are to explore off the ground. Hopefully this helps with your question.

15. jen87

jen87 Well-Known Member

That is very, very good to know. I would hate to bring it home and something awful happen.