This Disappears When Logged In

Tank Humidity

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by RonnieGirl, Apr 20, 2018.

1. RonnieGirl

RonnieGirl Member

My dragon's tank was at 82 degrees with humidity of 75% this morning before I turned on her sun lamp. Minutes after I turned it on the humidity went down to 55%. Does anyone know why that would happen and what to do about it?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Let me guess. Screen top?

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

That would be my first guess as well. As for what to do, you have to cover the screen as completely as possible or just build a custom top for the tank (I'm also assuming fish tank). If this isn't the case, let us know what your setup is and we will try and help you.

4. RonnieGirl

RonnieGirl Member

Yes it is an aquarium with a screen top that I have covered completely except where her heat lamp and UVB lamp are. I am in the process of building her vivarium. The aquarium will be her swimming tank when the vivarium is completed. I have noticed that if I raise the UVB lamp a little it retains more humidity. Today I have hooked up a canister with water, aquarium air pump and hoses one goes into her enclosure. Hoping to add more moist air.

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, can you show a photo of the whole enclosure including a top view and say what type of heat and UVB bulbs you`re using?

6. RonnieGirl

RonnieGirl Member

Here they are

Attached Files:

7. RonnieGirl

RonnieGirl Member

when I turn off the uvb bulb at night I cover the hole it sits over and the humidity stayed between 70 and 80 percent, but as soon as I uncovered the hole and turned the light on it dropped down, so I misted her tank a little and then covered the uvb light a bit. I will see how that goes, and if it still won't maintain after the mist drys up I will cover it all the way. The bulb sticks out of the bottom of the lamp a bit so it will not sit flush.....I am getting a new set of lights for the vivarium, because these ones are way too small I think for it, it is 5' x 4' x 2' deep.

8. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Yes, the lights and holes for them are your main issue at this point. I would strongly suggest you make accommodations in the new cage to have all the lights inside, with little to no ventilation, or at least have some way to adjust what vents you have. And I hate to say this, but those compact florescent bulbs have a pretty bad track record when it comes to the amount of useful UV they put out. The linear tubes are much better, but understandably harder to incorporate into the current caging without losing more humidity. A fogger or misting system might be a good stopgap measure until the new caging is ready.

RonnieGirl likes this.
  9. RonnieGirl

RonnieGirl Member

Thank you.....I have heard those Mega-Ray bulbs are pretty good and that is what I was going to get for it. What are your suggestions?

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The MegaRay MVB`s are quite good, there`s normally a minimum distance required between the face of the bulb and the closest surface of the animal (usually around 12 iches) although the current tank is relatively tall these lizards are semi arborial meaning the animal may get too close. The infrared bulb is o.k for extra ambient (air) heat but not as a "basking" bulb because they don`t direct the heat downwards as effectively as some other types such as par 30 or par 38 flood beam halogens/similar (the MVB will emit heat and UVB) if that`s the type you want.

11. RonnieGirl

RonnieGirl Member

Thank you! I am getting some great information here, and I sure appreciate it. I was going to go with those big no light heat lamps as well, for night time heat. It's good to know I will only have to use one during the day and one at night, for Kelsey's vivarium. I was going to put a basking shelf near the top of the enclosure being built, since that is where the lights will be. I was thinking 10-12 inches away but I didn't know if I should get any closer since some of these lights get kinda hot.

12. RonnieGirl

RonnieGirl Member

Well so far so good, I think all that heat was also helping to dry up the tank during the day, but that was just one problem. I have been leaving only the uv bulb on during the day and completely covering it with tin foil and covering the night heat light hole. Then at night, of course the same as always, just the night heat light on. But with my little canister blowing the cool moist air it stays about 75 to 80% humid and the temp stays about 85 on the hot side. Took a little trouble shooting and some good advice, but I think we have it! Can't wait to get the other enclosure done, it will be so cool to have a big space for Kelsey to climb around in and an actual swimming tank to splash around in. Thanks for all the advice!

13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Are you saying the only bulb for heating is the UVB, if yes they don't emit much heat at all, you must use a suitable "basking" bulb, that is one that directs heat downwards towards the basking object, this type is of paramount importance and it`s urgent you acquire one. How are you measuring the basking surface temp, what is it and what type of hygrometer are you using?

14. RonnieGirl

RonnieGirl Member

This one, actually both of them emit a ton of heat, Kelsey is right now sitting in the favorite spot other then the log about 10 inches below the UVB bulb. The tank at the hot side is at 80 and has stayed consistent since I turned it on this morning except when I fed Kelsey. the humidity is at about 70% right now but that is because I just cleaned the cage and fed Kelsey about 45 minutes ago, but it looks to be climbing back up to 80% where it was before I opened the top. I do have the other lamp if it goes below 75 degrees. So are you saying that should I keep the infrared basking bulb on too? Or is there another bulb I should be getting?

15. RonnieGirl

RonnieGirl Member

this is the type I am using for the tank

Attached Files:

16. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The hygrometer is analogue and quite likely to be inaccurate (as much as 15% out) which means you/we have no idea what the conditions really are. You need a digital hygrometer, they cost around $13 from Lowes or Walmart ( I`m not in America). You also need an IR Temp-gun to measure the basking surface temp, give me 5 minutes I`ll try and show examples.

17. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

18. RonnieGirl

RonnieGirl Member

And those digital are ok in high humidity? Ok nevermind I see the new post
    ok I will look for those.

19. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The current compact UVB bulb will not provide any significant amount at that distance, even at half (5 inches away) it will be of little use. Can you show me the basking surface heat bulb?
    Edit: The infrared bulb is not very effective at the basking site because it directs heat all around rather than downwards, I`ll put another link up of a more suitable type..

20. RonnieGirl

RonnieGirl Member

I am going to have to find one in Fahrenheit temps, I have no idea what celsius temps would be. Hang on I just moved stuff around let me get a picture.