This Disappears When Logged In

Tank Aggression

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by albinoburm92, Apr 6, 2014.

1. albinoburm92

albinoburm92 Member

Ok so I have two burmese pythons that are both about 8 months old. I handle them regularly but everytime I go to remove them from their tanks its a fight. They are hissig and striking but as soon as I get them out they are fine. Is there any way to make it a little easier to get them out? The photos attached are of my albino and the bite I got yesterday

Attached Files:

2. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

That's not a bite, that's a kiss lol

First thing I can say is that some snakes are just like that. My adult female Boa is like that as well as my adult male and my juvenile female. Some grow out of it and get used to you but some don't. Unfortunately my adult female was nearly never handled before I bought her last year so she's a bit sketchy to work with.
    Some snakes will get grumpy when they are hungry.
    Just go in confidently and pull them out before they have a chance to bite you. That being said... Make sure they're awake before you start pulling them out lol

3. DSBoots

DSBoots Well-Known Member

Make sure you're not afraid when you go to get them out. If you're scared, you're going to hesitate and let your hand linger close to the snake alot longer, and He'll be much more likely to strike at you. Open their enclosure, let them know you're there, and just reach in and pick em up. Dont do it fast and suddenly, just use a normal, confident pace.

4. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Hook training. You need to start now, hook training is a vital part of working with big constrictors. Start em on it now so when they're 10+ ft you dont have to worry about working with them

5. EriksExotics

You need to be EXTREMELY GENTLE ABOUT HOOK TRAINING....

The previous owner of my adult female BCI tried to hook train by tapping the snakes head and did it way too rough now she's more likely to try and bite if I use a hook or if one is in site. You must be very gentle and not tap their heads and be soft

6. BoaBoyKD

BoaBoyKD Active Member

Like Erik said... Be careful when hook training. Let the snake associate the hook as being a good thing. I just rub my snakes with the hook to get her aware of me being in the enclosure. Best to start hook training at a young age so they'll be familiar with it later on down the line...

7. albinoburm92

albinoburm92 Member

I have actually been hook training since I got them and it works most times but sometimes they choose not to cooperate lol.
    They don't scare me at all I was just wondering if there was anything that would help calm them down.

8. EriksExotics

All of my Boas that were like that I can now pull out without a single issue. Just stay confident, read the snake and stay persistent. More than likely he'll get used to you sooner or later. That being
    said... He might not get used to you and may always give you issues. He may just be more of a display animal.

Just try to get in there and pick them up before they have time to throw a fit. If you linger, they may suspect that you're a predator stalking them so get to them before they get a chance to think about it

9. albinoburm92

albinoburm92 Member

This is my other one. 0408141208b.jpg 0408141208b.jpg

10. EriksExotics

11. albinoburm92

albinoburm92 Member

Thanks! I love them

12. AlexisFitzy

AlexisFitzy Active Member

They are really really pretty! I love burms but they get too big for me personally to ever own one. And I agree with the other in saying that hook training would be best for these two beauties. :) Hopefully they will get used to it and you won't have to worry about it anymore. I hope everything works out!