This Disappears When Logged In

Taming a leo?

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by justin654, Dec 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justin654

justin654 New Member

My leo is about 1 1/2 years old and i want to hold him and stuff but everytime i try to touch him he runs away really fast. IS there a guide or some tips on how i can get him used to me holding him.

2. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

patience... Take things slow, first start with just putting your hand in its cage and leaving it still. Give it a chance to get used to that. Then maybe work on moving it around a little bit and see if it gets used to that. Also try not to come right at the gecko from above. This causes the gecko to feel like a predator is coming at it and is not conducive to making it comfortable with you. Your best bet is to lay your hand flat on the bottom of the cage and let the animal eventually come to you. This won't be an over-night process either, so try not to become discouraged. Good luck!

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Using a pair of tongs and handfeeding helps too.

4. Benn-bmx

Benn-bmx Banned User

My gecko is only about 4 months old and i have tried to handle him atleast 3 times a week and once a fortnight hand feeding him a wax worm, now he comes out straight away when i lay my hand in the viv.

5. justin654

justin654 New Member

I tried putting my hand in there and i slowly moved toward him trying to pet him and he bit me >,> Didnt hurt but it was trying to tell me to back up!:(

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

So don't back off and pick him up anyways.
    You don't want him learning that if he bites you, you go away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.