This Disappears When Logged In

Talyn's ultrasound pics

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by BlackJack, Apr 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Here's an update on Talyn. Sort of a part II to the thread on her X-Ray pics:
    http://www.herpcenter.com/showthread.php?t=7904

We've been having a lot of doubts about whether or not her eggs could be fertilized. Some research has stated that rainbow boas can retain viable sperm for over 2 years for later fertilization. She was with another snake a year and a half ago, and she lived with Q for a while in spring last year. Q may have been a male afterall!

I'd read that snakes won't eat when gravid, but it's good to offer smaller food items regularly anyway. In January Talyn refused everything. But since then she's taken a 40-60g rat pup every 10 days or so with increasing voracity. This was leading us to believe she had re-absorbed the eggs and was not gravid after all.

We decided to get an ultrasound and found at least 20 eggs and quite a few of them seem to have something inside :) ! The pictures are a bit difficult to make out; but during the exam as he moved the scanner over her body we could really see things better.

So I want to share our "baby TV" pics:
    On this one you can see two pics each with two eggs next to each other, on the right picture the left egg is completely dark (probably unfertilized) but on the right you can really see the (white) fetus inside:
    [​IMG]

Here's another:
    [​IMG]

So it's watch and wait time! And I'm glad I've got the baby rack set up and ready to go. We're estimating her due date between the end of April and end of May. But she might go longer. I'll keep you posted!

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

neat! thanks for sharing and best of luck

3. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Good luck with that, you sure are getting a jump on taking baby pictures ;)

4. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

OMG Andrea! Maybe Q left you his legacy afterall!
    Here's hoping!! :D whoohooooo!!

5. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Very interesting pics Andrea, best of luck.

6. Disturbedcries87

Disturbedcries87 Elite Member

wow . You must be happy hope for the best for tayln

7. venus

venus Founding Member

Cool Andrea,,,keep us posted and good luck.

8. BlackJack

Thanks everyone. I AM excited. I just wish I knew when to expect the babies!
    You'll hear about it as soon as they arrive though! :)

9. Joe

Joe Elite Member

Congats Andrea at least you know that some are fertile :D

Interesting pics too gives us an insight into what is going on inside.....wish I could do that with our hogg island boa lol.....but she is starting to look fat lol

Good luck I hope you get a good litter of healthy baby brbs

10. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

thats so cool! i really can't wait to see the babies! i'm excited for you and Talyn. :D

11. BlackJack

Thanks everyone. I'm really getting excited too. I just hope she has the babies before I go to San Diego in May... or even better, she should wait till I get back! I don't want to miss it!
    I'll have to have a long talk with that girl.... :)

12. Herpewanabe

Herpewanabe Elite Member

.... i can see THE HEAD! good luck I hope she has a safe/fast/healthy birth!!

13. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Really interesting pics Andrea, as Joe said I wish we could do that for Bonnie, it's fascinating to see what's going on in there. Good luck, I still have my fingers crossed for you - and for us! - boy my fingers are going to be really stiff after so long of crossing them!:p

Keep us informed - and thanks for sharing such interesting pictures. Just think - if you took them to work to show your friends; when they are showing baby scans we are showing baby snake scans teehehe that's one for the grandkids:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.