This Disappears When Logged In

Tai's Injury.

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Thalatte, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Well on the 24th he ate one tiny roach nymph and then was done.

On the 25th (yesterday) he did slightly better and ate one and a half (heavily dusted) earthworms. It was really gross as he ate the one earth worm then half of the other and with the rest of the worm he smeared it all over his cage-which was not fun to clean while he tried to chase me down and bite me.

Over all since his sadistic streaks are surfacing I am going to say he feels better.

Hopefully today he will eat another earthworm covered in his crushed medicine. This seems like a much easier way to get him to take his meds then a syringe of food and water shoved down his throat.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

However you will have to be careful that some of the medicine is not rubbed or knocked off. You have to make sure he gets the entire dose.
    I personally would just give the meds myself.

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

They are in pill format and its really hard to get him to take an entire syringe of liquid as he flails around and with his broken leg I am not sure how much the flailing damages him...
    what about making an incision in the worm and shoving the pill inside it. Think that would be a better option?

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If it will work I don't see why not.

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Guess I will see tonight if it works.

6. Hawkundead

Hawkundead Active Member

You should push the pill further into the worms body to prevent it from slipping out. Also I'm glad to hear he is eating.

7. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

It didn't work. He ate jus up to the pill and then was done. All in all today he has are 1/3 of a worm and I had to dissolve his meds and shove that down him again. But he is still alert and has good coloring.

8. Hawkundead

Hawkundead Active Member

It's good to hear he is looking alert and colorful. What kind of medicine is it? (a tablet, powder etc.)

9. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

It's a pill form of ciproflaxacin.

10. Hawkundead

Hawkundead Active Member

Maybe if you cut the worm and you put a part of a crushed pill into it then maybe he will eat it

11. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I tried putting the pill inside the worm, a crushed pill in the worm, and also dusting the worm in the pill but none have worked so I am just forcing it down by dissolving it in water and food purée.

12. Hawkundead

Hawkundead Active Member

That sounds like the best way then if he keeps refusing it.

13. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yep it seems so. I have learned tai is more headstrong and stubborn than I.
    He has now decided he doesn't want food or water no matter how I present it.

14. Hawkundead

Hawkundead Active Member

Lol He probably just doesn't want the pill.

15. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

How does he feel about fuzzies?
    When my water dragon wasn't being a princess and was eating regularly, she would go nuts for fuzzies, especially when she became picky in regards to other food items. It would be easy to insert a pill in a mouse, and next to impossible for your dragon to discover it unless he decided to eat the mouse in pieces, rather than swallowing it whole like a normal dragon.

16. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I hadnt thought of fuzzies. I havent tried them with him before as I dont relish the thought of thawing mice and finding live ones I could euthanize right before feeding is a bit problematic but I will look into it...ugh...much prefer bugs. I did just get in some silkworms so I will try those first.

17. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

And the saga continues. Geez why do vets prescribe a PILL to a reptile? Really!? Lol. Giving pills to my cats is rough enough. But to a herp? Geez.

I hope since he is fighting about the meds he is on the mend. Not that it makes it easier to deal with. But hopefully he stops being a pooh head and eats on his own.

18. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Well he bite me today when I tried to feed him and the. He kept charging after me so yeah I think he is feeling better!

19. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Well this morning he drank for a good 14minutes which is good and then he ate 3 smallish silkworms. Not much food but then I think he filled up on his poo. No idea why he has been eating his poo lately but he has and its rather gross as it is all over his mouth now...
    It's not like he is starving and needs to recycle! I give him earthworms in the morning and then he has a bowl with a couple superworms available to him during the day then I give more earthworms in the afternoon but he hasn't been eating any of it. Maybe 1.5 earthworms if I am lucky.
    Hopefully with the silkworms now he will eat them and lay off the poo. Also hoping the silks make him feel better.

20. AParkin

AParkin Elite Member

He may be eating poo to aid with his digestion. Depending on the medicine (especially antibiotics) he is getting, it is likely killing off the probiotics in his stomach and intestines. By eating poo he is probably trying to replace those. That would be my best guess anyway. I do know that there are probiotic supplements available for dogs and cats, but I'm not sure if there is one specific for reptiles. I have also had success giving a little live-culture plain yougurt, but again that's been with mammals and birds, I haven't had cause to try it with reptiles.