This Disappears When Logged In

Tai's Injury.

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Thalatte, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I dropped him off at the vet first thing this morning and He will be getting the leg amputated at the knee. So I shall have a 3.5 legged lizard.

Unfortunately I dont have a choice in what vet I take him to. I live in a small town and her her practice is the only one that sees exotics. I tried a different Doctor but she just rescheduled me back with the other dr. who is more experienced with lizards...she is also the owner of the practice so I cant do much about complaints. I am not paying for the visit though. I will pay for the equipment and medicine costs but not for the doctors time since this is her error.

Also fun side note...not only was the leg severly gangrenous but it was fractured below the knee as well so Tai is doing something that is causing him to break himself all over again. I really need to put a stop to that.

2. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

Geeeeeeez...I'm sorry you have such a crappy vet. That's just terrible. Poor Tai. I bet he's really hostile now!

Could you set up a video camera to watch him all day and see what he's up to? It may give you an idea about what's possibly contributing to broken bones.

Have you increased his calcium intake as well (to help with bone strength)?

3. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

I have a good idea what he is doing...he is twisting the leg around and round when he is turning...I have a feeling that is doing it...Wish you would let me send you some silkworms for him....seriously

4. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

OMG poor little Tai! I hope the surgery goes well. He just needs to chill.

And ugh vet. :(

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Hey if you want to send some silkworms go right ahead! I am also putting in an order for them today though.

As of right now he isn't aggressive but he is hiding all the time and he hasn't eaten since he broke his tail. I have been doing a little baby food and insect purée that is watered down with his ciproflaxacin and some pure calcium. He doesn't take much of it though.

6. Monsignor

Monsignor Member

Is he back now? Has the leg been amputated?

7. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

It was amputated yesterday at 3:30 my time. He slept all yesterday afternoon which was a bit concerning but he was awake and alert this morning though his colors are a bit yellow so he is feeling some stress. Normal for what he has gone through I guess.
    I will get pictures up in a couple hours when I go on my lunch break.

8. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

Poor Tai. Glad he is more alert today

9. Monsignor

Monsignor Member

what a little champ.

10. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

And one of his sleeping face: image.jpg
    Those are all from yesterday when he was still out of it.

Here he is this morning thinking "I am sure I had a foot there yesterday..."
    image.jpg

11. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Sorry he is upside down in the one but he has decided he is a bat!

12. Monsignor

Monsignor Member

its already looking much better. The color it looking like its back in the leg already.

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

He will adjust. They tend to take such things a lot better than we humans do!
    Hopefully this will be the last of your "adventures" with him.

14. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Hoping for a solid recovery (and wider, 'grippier' branches) ;)

15. zippy2013

zippy2013 Subscribed User Premium Member

poor buddy :(
    Showed my fiancé these pictures he thinks the vets actually doing something. ( which is what he said about our lizard dying in the vets office ) He looks like hes tired of being hurt hopefully this will be it!

16. AParkin

AParkin Elite Member

He already looks better in that last picture. Hopefully his recovery will go quickly from here.

17. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I dont think he broke any of his limbs climbing. They are spiral breaks so he got them by twisting his legs until they snapped which would be whaat he does when Surfing the glass trying to get out of his cage.

But he is going to get 2in PVC set at low angles though very convoluted and wrapped in rope to replace the vast majority of his current branches. Only 2 of his current branches will stay put but even those will be wrapped completely in rope. It is going to take awhile to get to that point though and I am unsure how long he will still need to be in his ICU tank. Hopefully I get his cage all changed around before he heals.

18. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

The vet did a much better job of wrapping and immobilizing his currently broken leg so hopefully it will heal straighter then his other leg did.

However without him being able to move the one leg and not having the other...he doesnt get around well at all. Which I guess is currently a good thing.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  19. Hawkundead

Hawkundead Active Member

I'm glad to hear that his other leg is doing better than the first, I hope he has a strong recovery.

20. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Last night I forced a syringe of baby food, water, and medicine mixture down his throat. He wasnt too happy with that and bit me so I am thinking he is feeling better.

Today I am going to try and give him an earth worm and see if he shows any interest in food.