This Disappears When Logged In

Tai's Injury.

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Thalatte, Jun 10, 2013.

1. AParkin

AParkin Elite Member

Maybe add a bunch of soft leafy live plants? I put some of my plants in the toes of panty hose with some peat moss and soil, then wrapped it in moss to look natural. Then when I water them I just grab the whole thing and soak it in the sink. Maybe you could add plants like that so you wouldn't have any exposed dirt or mud for him to get into.

2. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

Poor Tai!

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Unfortunately I found the source of the decaying smell...it wasn't the dead skin on his foot or his toe.

His leg when I brought him home last weekend: image.jpg besides the end of the longest toe it was ok. Looked a little "bruised" but otherwise fine said the dr.

His leg this morning (keep in mind I have been washing it with betadine and putting neosporin on the toes and yet...): image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

His entire leg from the knee down is darker, squishy (especially where the muscle was) and now it all blend in with his dead toe.

I don't know what to do now...what do I do?

4. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

Oh my. I would say ask the vet. I don't know what else to do.

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I will as soon as they open. I have already tried calling 4 times.

6. AParkin

AParkin Elite Member

I'm so sorry to hear about his leg getting worse. It sounds like they may have to amputate the part that is black and squishy. But even if it comes to do, many animals do great in captivity with a missing limb or two. I used to have a box turtle that had been hit by a car. She had to have both hind legs amputated along with her tail, and part of the shell cut away. Amazingly she healed up great and could still get around just fine with only her front legs to pull herself along. Tai is a healthy young dragon getting the best of care, I'm sure he will come out of this okay.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Thala I am going to be greatly surprised if they don't amputate. That looks nasty!

8. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

I agree, I would suspect amputation is in Tai's future. But if the leg is necrotic, it will save his life. It would also explain why he's off food.

Tai is feisty and a fighter. 3 legs won't slow him down!

9. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Well I am just hoping the vet doesn't botch up his other leg.

10. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Oh and he is going to be dropped off at the vet in half an hour and they will examine him when she gets a chance and I will pick him up after I get off work.

11. AParkin

AParkin Elite Member

Any news or updates about Tai yet? I'm sure we are all very anxious to know.

12. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Not that are nicely worded...but I will try.

So yesterday on my lunch break I took him to the vet. I was supposed to drop him off and pick him up after work but instead the vet had me wait as she looked him over. Then the vet techs come back and say "there are a few minor areas of concern, here is some betadine solution and some antibiotics to give him and the vet wants to see him on Monday at 9:45 for a full exam."

Um yeah that doesn't work for me as I work from 8-5 and can't take time off but does the doctor consider that and reschedule for the weekend or later in the day on Monday? No. Heaven forbid it inconvienence her. So instead I am dropping him off before work and picking him up after work. This will give her like 9hrs with him so she better fix him.

I blame all these recent injuries on her. My thought is that the way the bone has set has cut off circulation to the lower limb. Killing it off. That coupled with the fact that she never cleaned or changed that bandage for the month it was on has lead to rot setting in. It was present last week when I took him home and she ignored the smell completely. He should have been on antibiotics (if for nothing else the fact that his tail was amputated should have necessitated it) then but was he? Nope. When I asked her for some she said clean the area with betadine and use neosporin. I am not happy at all with my vet and I will not be paying for any services needed to fix his rotten leg. All I will pay for is medicines and materials used but not for her time.

13. AParkin

AParkin Elite Member

Wow! That's terrible, that vet sounds just awful. I'm sorry. :(

14. zippy2013

zippy2013 Subscribed User Premium Member

WOW. What an awful experience... Im sorry for that. Poor little guy.. I hope he gets better soon.

15. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

That vet is terrible.
    Best of luck to you and your animal.

16. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

Ugh. Sorry Thala. Doesn't sound like she knows much about reptiles.

17. OEW

OEW Elite Member

What a nightmare...

18. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

ugh...so the skin started sloughing off...I thinks its safe to assume its beyond salvation but the vet doesnt agree. Apparently being able to see his bones isnt concerning enough for an emergency visit and she will just see him monday.
    If I was able to get the time off and some how scrap up lots of money I would just take him to a larger city and a different vet.

Warning the pictures in the following link are disturbing, sad, and gross.

19. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Again if you are squeamish best not to look at these. Those of you that do look I tried to label the photos with the date also if you read the titles on some it gives a bit of info on what you are seeing.

Tai Photos by 11Tiamat13 | Photobucket

20. Monsignor

Monsignor Member

Omg! I wouldnt ever bring him back to that vet. He has ome serious necrosis going on. The cell death is also pretty rapid based on your time line in the pictures. That leg really should come off before he gets septicemia.

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation, hoping for him to come out on top...