This Disappears When Logged In

Tai's Injury.

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Thalatte, Jun 10, 2013.

1. AParkin

AParkin Elite Member

Mine is the exo-terra 75watt basking bulb, if that helps.

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

It might. I actually have one of those some where...

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Ok I have to figure something else out as he is severely dehydrated. He looks like he has lost weight. He is all wrinkly and his ribs show...poor thing.

4. AParkin

AParkin Elite Member

Hmmm...I bet he's not drinking because he isn't swimming. I had a similar problem with an injured painted turtle. Most pet stores sell this thing called The Little Dripper. Its basically a plastic bucket with a hose and drip valve. You fill it with water and it slowly drips out a drop at a time. I've used it with all kinds of small injured/sick critters. It works best if you can hang it over a shallow dish to catch the drips. Usually the sound and motion of the little splashes entices the animal to either lick the drip valve or lap at the dish.

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

That might be worth trying...I tried a narrow mist but he kept running in circles under it and getting his leg wet so now I am just using a syringe to put drops on his nose.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

7. AParkin

AParkin Elite Member

Just wondering how Tai is doing. Did you find a way to get him to stay hydrated?

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

9. AParkin

AParkin Elite Member

I couldn't play the video, my phone isn't quite that smart...but I am so glad to hear that he is doing okay.

10. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yeah he has lost some weight, especially in his leg which has made the splint slip down so I hope that hasn't misaligned the leg.

11. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Well he is still doing good but he is in a major mood! Earthworms aren't good enough. Neither are crickets, waxworms, superworms, or mealworms and roaches? No. I tried to give him 4 adults and dozens of babies thinking maybe he would eat one size or maybe all...but NO! He takes two of the adults and drowns them after biting them in two. So now his tiny water bowl has roach pieces floating in it which isn't very pleasant to clean. Then he just sits and dogs all day long. He won't even drink anymore. image.jpg image.jpg
    I had to peel his nose shed off since he just wasn't getting it on his own. image.jpg
    And if he isn't digging by some miracle he is doing this: image.jpg

I don't think he likes his shoe box aquarium.

12. OEW

OEW Elite Member

Resilient little guy... That last picture looks uncomfortable. Glad he's doing well, even though he's probably plotting his revenge as we speak. :)

13. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I know! He keeps using his bad leg as a kick stand and I don't see how it can be healing with how much he uses it.

14. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

I have no knowledge of this species, but let me just say that that is a gorgeuous animal. Kudos to you for keeping him so healthy and happy, alongside treating him like a king.
    When my parakeet broke his wing, he continously smashed his wing with the bandages against his mirror, until they came off. Dang bird must've had those bandages reapplied 10 times before it was the vet told me he basically had a lifelong bum wing. He apparently cant feel pain in it though, and doesnt use it, except to flick water everywhere.
    Best of luck!

15. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Here he is again being an idiot: image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Ah well. It would be great if he has mobility in it as he really needs that leg for climbing and balancing. I know it will always pain him but as long as its functional we can cope. And he is on a dubia kick now but atleast I got him eating!

Qwerty (i just realized the letters in your screen name are in a row on the keyboard! [haha made everyone look at their keyboards!]) thanks for the praise! He is gorgeous isn't he?

16. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

LOL most people don't notice that :p

17. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I like patterns and try to put everything I see into one so your screen name pleases me!

18. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Does anyone want a wonderful non complicated easy to care for lizard? He comes with wonderful fashion accessories!

Ok so on a more serious note: This week (I think it was on monday? or tuesday...) Tai half way severed his tail: 07-13-2013 184.jpg 07-13-2013 186.jpg
    So I took him to an exotic vet but she was the new dr and Tai's regular dr was out of town. So all she did was bandage it and give a shot of antibiotics. So here was gorgeous idiot that night: 07-13-2013 190.jpg

This morning he got amputation surgery and while the Dr. was at it she took xrays and examined his broken leg. It was well enough to get the cast off and the tail surgery went great.

But could Tai have left it at that? NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Why stop when more could go wrong?

His other leg has a spiral fracture so now that one is in a splint and the toes on his now good leg look like they may have been damaged and had blood supply cut off so he may loose a bit of them as well.

He is still at the vets but I can pick him up in 2hrs.

19. zippy2013

zippy2013 Subscribed User Premium Member

what a poor baby :/ lol I think he just wants your attention. :p

20. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

So just got back from the vet and todays visit was cheap! only $265.50 for surgery, bandaging, xrays, exam, and medications.

Here is stubby: DB2214E0-FF2C-43F8-A47C-873DAB91EC1C-16964-0000119B6DE4B57C.jpg
    the foot that was broken has some stuck shed, damaged toes, and I suspect the beginnings of rot: 2E527218-3964-4F46-A6E0-750805BE6810-16964-0000119B68725E64.jpg
    Which is why on the new broken leg she tried a different approach to bandaging it.

Notice the lovely pink polka dot bandage? so manly!