This Disappears When Logged In

Tail Rotor Or Skin Shed Build Up?

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by Hannibal Lecture, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Hannibal Lecture

Hannibal Lecture New Member

Howdy all, I'm new here so please forgive me if I brake any rules or standards. I am going to state what I know and get straight to the point. A few months ago I got a baby/juvenile Red Iguana. He had mites when we got him. I believe we have all but eradicated them and are taking measures to keep them dead. About a month ago he was in his cage sitting in the sun by the window. A bird flew by and the shadow spooked him greatly. He whipped and ran frantically about his cage, jumping and flailing. I got him to calm down and held him for quite some time (he likes his chin rubbed and was very please to get out of his cage, he climbed right up my arm). A portion of his tail was noticeably broken. It was by no means detached nor should any signs that it was headed in that direction, no bone protrusions or anything of that sort, just the lack of control from a certain point; a loose danglyness so to speak. We took him in and made a makeshift cast. I thought it had healed completely. There was still a small kink but the vet said that was something he would have all his life. We were happy and went back to normal. He has recently started to shed in a few spots on his snoot, hands and head. To my knowledge this is his first shed. He is still fairly smaller than his "brothers and sisters" at the store (they did not know if they were from the same family). Anyway two days ago from this posting I noticed the bottom of his tail seemed to be dried up. This morning I could notice the vertebrae in his tail. It appeared that the "dryness" may have moved up his tail slightly but not by much. I am keeping a close eye on it too see if it grows at all. I will post some pictures down below. Please forgive me if I have made any mistakes. Thanks a ton, you guys are a awesome community.

P.S. His name is Dante for those of you who were curious :3

Attached Files:

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, it`s not too clear but I would guess the end of the tail is dead tissue, if there`s still some infection it would continue up the tail, if there isn`t it will probably fall off on it`s own. Can you crop the photos and zoom right in?
    Can you also show a few photos of the whole enclosure and give details of the conditions including ambient (air) and basking surface temps plus the humidity range and how you measure those?

Hannibal Lecture likes this.
  3. Hannibal Lecture

Hannibal Lecture New Member

Thanks so much for responding. You guys are truly great. ^0^ I contacted the Vet who did the tail and she looked at it. She confirmed that the end is dead tissue and will probably fall off. If it doesn't she said we can remove it to prevent infection from spreading. Thanks a ton for you help. I feel bad for inconveniencing you guys. Sorry for wasting your time.

As for his cage if you would still like to know, is in sort of a probationary setup right now. We have removed most of the items from it, and replaced the substrate with paper towels. This is only temporary as till we are sure the mites are gone. I should also mention he is almost always out either riding on my shoulder or climbing around the house or sunbathing in whatever room I am in. So he spends little time in his cage. The air in the house is usually anywhere between 76 and 80 depending on the day. His basking temp is around 87 when I last measured it but I plan on getting a stronger light for this coming winter. His cage is around 62% humidity after a recent misting, but again he is rarely in there for that, so instead he gets a nice steamy bath a day.

Attached Files:

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks for the photos and more details. There is no way you can create suitable conditions in the fishtank with the screen top, you need to cover it as completely as possible, kitchen foil will work temporarily (that is an urgent modification) the temps in your house are not high enough and I suspect the humidity isn`t either?
    The tail will never heal properly and the iguana will not flourish until the conditions are supportive, allowing the animal to free roam to such an extent will unduobtably compromise it`s immune system which can lead to many health problems.
    The basking surface temp should be around 100f (measured with a Temp-gun).
    I cannot see a specific basking object that will retain heat, also, how are you currently measuring the ambient (air) and basking surface temps and how long has the lizard been in the fishtank? Spraying the tank will only raise the humidity for a few minutes, which again is totally unsuitable.

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Sorry, I need to add more; can you tell me the type of basking bulb/UVB bulb you`re using because I can only see one single dome fixture?