This Disappears When Logged In

Tail Rot? Something Else? Paranoia?

Discussion in 'African Fat-tailed Geckos' started by puzzlebean, Dec 2, 2012.

1. puzzlebean

puzzlebean Elite Member

Hi! I am a little worried about my AFT's tail, but I hope that I am just being paranoid. He has a little dark spot right on the tip of it. I took some pictures, but it is really hard to see. I'll post what I have. It's just a little dark spot right on the tip, and I am trying to be proactive about it because I have never seen this and don't want it to turn into something bad. Let me know what you think.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I don't see any signs of tail rot...but it is hard to tell from pictures.

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, it is very hard to see, and bearing that in mind I don`t think it`s anything to worry about, but keep an eye on the tip over the next few days or so, if it starts to shrivel it would mean the tissue is dead. If you don`t notiice any change then it`s probably just the colour on the scale.

4. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

Do you ever leave prey items in with your gecko? It doesn't look like much to me either, but it's possible it's a bug bite. Or has your gecko recently shed? He could've had a harder time than usual getting it off his tail. Either way, agree with the above - keep an eye on it to see if it gets worse, but I wouldn't be concerned yet.

5. puzzlebean

puzzlebean Elite Member

Ohhhh sometimes I do leave crickets in there! Could that be it? Usually I will take everything out of his cage and let him eat them all, but sometimes I get lazy and just dump them in. Maybe I shouldn't do that ever?

6. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

If you are going to leave crickets in the enclosure for longer, leave a piece of potato or cricket food in there with them. If the crickets get hungry then, they'll eat the potato instead of snacking on your gecko. :p

7. puzzlebean

puzzlebean Elite Member

Thanks!! I never even thought that that would be an issue...good to know!