This Disappears When Logged In

Tail Injury

Discussion in 'African Fat-tailed Geckos' started by Sarah84, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Sarah84

Sarah84 Member

My AFT has a large chunk out of her tail near the body and the wound looks quite deep. She lives on her own, there is nothing in her cage that could have caused it and she was fine two days ago. Any ideas what could have caused this and the best cause of treatment? Thank you in advance.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Can you post pictures of the wound?
    And the enclosure
    Let's see if we can get to the bottom of this.

3. Atroxus

Atroxus Well-Known Member

I recently saw a video of someone with an AFT that had pulled it's own tail off, and was diagnosed with neurological issues. Hope that isn't what you are dealing with. :(

4. Sarah84

Sarah84 Member

Here is the picture. I tried to wash it with warm water and she didn't seem bothered. She keeps looking at it but I haven't seen her try and touch it in any way.

Attached Files:

5. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

You say there is nothing in the cage that could have caused it, but I must ask... do you keep live crickets in her cage?

murrindindi likes this.
  6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, can you put a few photos up of the whole enclosure?

7. Sarah84

Sarah84 Member

Yes there was a cricket in there; I did consider it could be a cricket bite but I didn't think it could be that big and deep (surely she would have flicked it off before it could inflict that much damage?). But I've never had the issue before.

8. Sarah84

Sarah84 Member

Here's the enclosure.

Attached Files:

9. Sarah84

Sarah84 Member

It looks about the same today so hopefully has not got worse.

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I recommend gently dabbing the area very gently with a diluted iodine solution; ten parts water to one part iodine, do that once per day, do not rinse off and keep the wound dry, if no improvement over the next few days or so, see a vet.
    When you say there was a cricket in there, I`ll assume you leave them (multiple) in for a time?
    Can you show the top and say what the conditions are inside (temps and humidity) and how you measure those plus type of heating?

11. Sarah84

Sarah84 Member

Here's the whole set up. It sits on top of a heat mat at one end, so there's also a cooler end and she never comes in direct contact with the heat mat. The box is kept moist as a humid hide and that's in the end with the heat. It's about 27c.

Attached Files:

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

If the top part is basically "mesh" (I know it`s plastic) it will be extremely difficult to stabilise the temps and humidity, also @27c it`s too cold if that`s the "basking" temp?

13. Sarah84

Sarah84 Member

I will monitor the temperature and ensure it's warm enough for her. Could any of this be related to the injury?