This Disappears When Logged In

T8 and T12 Flourescent Fixtures, How to Tell?

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by replover, Nov 18, 2010.

  1. replover

    replover Elite Member

    I am almost used up my supply of T12 Reptisun 10 tubes and the new ones at the store are now T8 only.

    I know that T8 tubes can fit into T12 fixtures and actually work but it would depend on whether the T12 fixture is rated to handle the T8 tubes (some can take both).

    I asked around how to tell if my fixture can take what kinds of tubes, and everyone says "It should say on the ballast, open it up and read what it says on the ballast".

    My question is, what the heck is the ballast and where is it?

    Can someone show me a picture?
  2. mld

    mld Subscribed User Premium Member

    This is what mine looks like, some can hold 2 tubes, it would say on the box what bulbs it can use. I bought this type because I knew I was getting a larger enclosure and would eventually need a longer tube. This picture I got off of a UK site.
    There are other types of ballasts

    The difference between T12 and T8 would be the diameter of the tube and also the output of light, T8 would put out more I believe.
  3. kriminaal

    kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

    Ballast is usually black and will be quite warm after plugging in.
    It's where all the wires originate from.
  4. Merlin

    Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

    And it is usually located in the square metal area of the top of the hood.
  5. replover

    replover Elite Member

    Mine don't have anything that looks like the one in the picture provided at all. It's one of those that you just buy from a hardware store that I wired myself. I even bought all the wires and the socket separately.
  6. kriminaal

    kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Share This Page