This Disappears When Logged In

Switching to F/T

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by Cankywanky, Apr 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cankywanky

Cankywanky Member

They have a corn snake at the pet store and its feeding on live food. It was brought in by a family that had recently gotten a cat. The snakes is 1 year old and has been on live food. Yesturday I went down and tried feeding it F/T it would foolow it around but would just turn the other way. Then the pet store owner got a live mouse and tossed it in the container. He followed it and then bam he snatched it and ate it. Before I buy this snake I would like it to feed on F/T readily. What are some ways I could get it to feed on F/T?

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

maybe try f/k first ???? just a thought

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would suggest letting it miss a feeding and then the folowing week when it good and hungry try again. Make sure the f/t is good and warm and using a hemostat take it by the tail and wiggle it in front of the snake. Using a freshly killed one is also an idea.

4. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

we just went to f/k's with tolkien..kj got the idea from his work at the zoo, now he wants to go with live and i'm trying to discourage that,,,but it is after all, his snake. he got to feed all the snakes yesterday at the zoo and some eat live...he seemd to enjoy holding the mice w/tongs and watching the snake strike. i'm trying to convince him to use f/k's in the same way,,,,,,,we'll see. whats your input on this merlin ?? (he takes your advice over mine,,,,,i'm his dad so he's already smarter than me...LOL)

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If the snake is eating f/t there is no reason to change. Is the thrill of seeing a snake strike and kill the prey worth the risk of the snake being maimed, blinded or killed? It happens. Have him look closely at the teeth of a rodent and then imagine those teeth sinking into Tolkien's head, or spine. I know it's a kick to see them hunt but its just not worth the risk.

6. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

i agree totaly,,,,i had no problem with f/k,,he ate the same way as a f/t. i suggested he stay with f/k and dangle it with tongs if he wants to see hunt/strike,,,,,,we'll see and thanks again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.