This Disappears When Logged In

Switching from Live to F/t

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by SurvivorSteph, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

As a new snake owner, I appreciated these posts (http://www.herpcenter.com/general-discussion/20008-love-hunt.html). The breeder from whom I purchased Cisco told me that he feeds live only (he raises feeders). I've fed Cisco (live) twice now that I've had him. I witnessed the second time... amazing! Obviously pinkies don't pose an injury threat (could pose a parasite threat, though), but I want to eventually switch to f/t.

Given that the consensus seems to be f/t, how soon should I make the switch, and how do I go about it?

2. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

I would suggest trying it with the next feeding. He might just make the switch no problem...

3. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

My snakes were fed live pinkies and fuzzies then fresh killed when they moved to hoppers and mice. They are still on mice but I figured months ago I would give frozen/thawed a try. I was amazed at how easy they made the switch. They took to them the very first time I tried, just put it in their feeding tubs.

Just make sure you have them warmed up enough so there are no cold spots left.

Or you can feed what you originally feed then put a frozen/thawed in right after to see if he'll take it.

4. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

DarkMagicians method is best. I raise my own feeders but only feed Pre-killed from the second feeding on for hatchlings. All my snakes eat Frozen-thawed when my supply of live mice is low. Though now and again my Ball pythons won't eat untill their offered live.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

With as strong a feeding response as California Kings usually have, switching them over should not be a problem. Next feeding just substitiute the f/t.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.