This Disappears When Logged In

Superworms Eating Through Plastic??

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by mommyof3beauties, Feb 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I went to Petsmart today to get some wax worms for my CWD and I was looking at getting some super worms and the guy that works there told me that if I feed these to my CWD I need to first cut the heads off of the superworms before feeding it or the worm would try to eat through his stomach and that they will try to eat through the container they are kept in in is this true? I never know what to believe coming from someone working at PetSmart, because from my experience most of them do not know what they are talking about. I have never heard of this before....anyone else heard of this?

2. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Big steamy load of you know what. It's an urban legend. Superworms are just fine, they are a staple for my leos and my bearded dragon, and I leave the heads on. ;)

3. nicole

nicole Elite Member

omg they still tell that tale, lol
    Just like she said, that is bull

4. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

Not gonna happen, i agree with everyone else here, other than adding a bit of variety to his diet, the main reason to I feed animals superworms is that they are so active, and provide stimulation for my pets.

5. kronik070

kronik070 Elite Member

i have had super worms eat their way through a fast food takeout dish but i dont think they are still alive enuf to eat through their stomaches......

6. 904cresteds

904cresteds Elite Member

i hate petsmart -.- they tried telling me that to ,there little reptile sections looks so bad =( ther leo's and AFT look so poorly taken care of...and the kids that work there have no idea what there talkin about half the time :p yay for petco

7. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

Hey, I interview Monday for a job at the local Petco. As far as petco's go i've definitly seen worse, seen better, but seen worse. If only i could talk them out of selling igauna's, and heat rocks.

8. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I got the same load of doo about chopping the heads off for my frogs. I think they tell you that, just to cover their own butt, "just in case"

9. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

there is some fact with fly maggots...know of one or two cases where animals that do not crush their prey (ie. frogs) the maggots ate through stomach lining! But as for the super worms....hahaha feed away! besides no risk...your chinese water dragon will crush the insects anyways!

By the way...super worms can feed through biodegradable material...know of them being sold in cotton material bags and eating through once getting warm. They will not eat through a hard plastic container though

10. MRHickey

MRHickey Elite Member

I did research on the effects of acidity on invertebrates, and you would be surprised how difficult it is for them to survive a pH of less than 4, let alone a common stomach acid with a pH of 1.5-2.5, the worms would not live long enough to make it to the stomach.

The only animals I have heard of eating their way out are maggots and beetle larvae from carrion beetles; they never actually make it to the stomach, they actually grab onto the esophagus or the back of the throat and eat, but I highly doubt that there are any animals like that at your local feed or pet store. Generally like was said, the worms would be crushed prior to their actually being a problem.

As per the legend, I have seen reports of scientific data that spread that rumor, however they are way out dated, basically what happened is they would find dead animals and see maggots feeding under the skin near the stomach and assume that they ate from the inside out, actually what happens is the fly dips in on the dead animal and takes a bite and lays a few eggs, the larva then hatch and naturally dig to evade predators, once they have dug in, they start eating from the inside, that way the trail looks as though they have eaten from the inside out; which they have, but after the animal died.

11. Tammy

Tammy Subscribed User Premium Member

Definately an urban myth. Never had a problem with my turtle, bearded dragon or my button quail eating super worms.

To the person going for the job at Petco - you can only make improvements when working there. This may be your opportunity to spread the knowledge you have gained here. Just don't let your manager hear you telling people not to buy heat rocks!

12. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

haha, well thank you, luckily its the store i buy alot of my stuff from, i've been told by almost every other employee there i might as well spend the extra few dollars and buy an under the tank heater. but as for the igaunas, im gonna have to be more careful there, i doubt they want me telling everyone that looks at them how much care they actualy need.

13. nicole

nicole Elite Member

tell them anyway!........ Just think of how long it takes an iguana to die from renal failure, it is not something that happens over night, it is a very slow torturous death.

Metabollic bone disease appears to be no fun either if you are an iguana. Look at my gallery, you will see a few that are really sad, definately gives you a reason to tell them.

14. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

PLEASE do tell everyone! Be careful who you say it in front of, but tell the truth! Definitely for the iguanas' sake, but for the people's sake, too.

15. MRHickey

MRHickey Elite Member

I kinda get a sick pleasure out of watching employees faces when the light bulb goes on that you know MUCH more than they do about the animals they are selling. If you want to have a good time, you could do what a friend of mine does who works there, she prints off care guides for all the animals they have in and stuffs the "PetsMart official guide" with a good one so that the store manager doesn't notice, and she then hands them off to customers and explains that the real careguide is inside. It is priceless how many people come in get an animal all packed to go an leave only to come back the next day and turn the animal in and complain about the lacking care guide on the shelf.

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LOL! I do know the feeling!
    Particularly after you have let them stand there and run their spiel on you!
    Then you plant the hook!
    Its very embarrassing to them when they suddenly realize that YOU know that they are blowing smoke!

17. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

Well, i interviewed today, i start next week. im part time, like 3 days a week, i have to cross train, so i can work everywhere in the store, but i got the impression they would be more than happy letting me take care of alot of the reptile questions, feeeding, so on.

18. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

Good for you. At least hopefully some people will get correct info before they buy the animals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.