This Disappears When Logged In

Supers High In Fat?

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Ahura, Feb 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahura

Ahura Elite Member

Are superworms a good staple invert for a sav? I heard they are higher in fat. I cannot get a hold of roaches and my mom would flip if I had roaches in the house lol. I will also have access to crickets and earthworms. I will be feeding f/t mice once in a while and also hard-boiled egg white. Maybe some canned snails as well. Any other type of food I can use to increase variety?

2. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

I think waxworms are really high in fat, I am unsure of superworms

do they eat snails? you could get a small fish tank with some plants you could raise common snails pretty easily soon you would have hundreds of them

3. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

I have been feeding supers for a long time and I haven't heard anything bad about them. Waxworms however, are high in fat.

4. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Yes my vet told me that they are high in fat. Pick the smaller ones they have less fat and more nutrition.

5. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

I found this on a hedge hog site:
    click to enlarge

[​IMG]

6. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Thanks for that link! I have been feeding my beardies superworms as their staple and they have fat tummies.:p

7. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Good access to proper temps is the most important thing for monitors.
    Without the ability to thermoregulate as needed, any food will cause excess fat storage.

8. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

It sounds like you are implying that my beardies have fat tummies because their temps aren't right?

If that is the case then I want to assure you that my temps are 100%.;)

9. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Nope, I was talking monitors. I know very little about Beardies.

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Nobody was implying anything,
    just stating a fact regarding general care.

11. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

To the original topic, Superworms I believe are still way less fatty than a corn raised mouse.

12. Ahura

Ahura Elite Member

I thought so. Because in the long run I cannot feed crickets forever. Superworms and earthworms would become more of a staple with an occasional mouse. Are boiled egg whites any good?

13. Whatshername

Whatshername Elite Member

Did anyone notice the irony on that chart? BUTTER worms were really low in fat...
    Not sure about the eggs, I've read some things that say they're good, but the literature on Savs is always so confusing

14. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.