This Disappears When Logged In

Super Update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by methos75, Oct 23, 2011.

1. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

Been negligent a bit and haven't posted here lately, been busy giving advice over on the Turtleshack FB page and over on Turtleforums a lot and going to school, so Herpcenter has kinda of gotten lost in the shuffle. But Me and my herps are still doing well.

The two Baby Iggies I saved back in May are now a little over two feet long and kicking, though one still hasn't calmed down.

I now have a breeding program started with Eastern Box Turtles, so expect babies next summer.

Along with my AST who turned one this weekend and is now topping out at 6 inches, I added two common snappers to my zoo along with another Spiny Softshell turtle and a baby Reeves turtle.

Everything else doing fine, but after my rescue Corn snake passed away as some of you might remember, I haven't been to hasty to get another one yet. just too busy with my Iggies, monitor, and my huge Turtle collection to think about another Snake at this moment

2. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

Welcome back... It's very good to know that the iguanas and turtles are still doing well, and I'm looking forward to getting updates and pictures once your turtles start hatching their eggs.

3. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

Thats great your breeding box turtles! Do you plan on releasing them into the wild? I see less and less of them every year, it makes me sad to think about it!

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

DO NOT release your baby turtles into the wild!
    Not only is it illegal but you may be introducing who-knows-what sort of alien pathogens into the local populations!

5. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

There is a way to release baby Turtles that is safe, I also breed Alligator Snappers through the State of LA and release a few every year through a state program. Basically they need to be kept in isolation from the rest of the captive population in near wild like conditions, that stated, no my Box Turtles are beinng breed for sale

6. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

Oh, ok, thats cool too. I misunderstood when you said breeding program. I assumed you were working with the local government for the box turtles. Captive breeding and selling is a great way to help the wild populations also tho!

I wasnt sure where you lived, I dont beleive the eastern box is even native to where you live, so that makes more sense now.

Are the aliigator snappers having problems in the wild as well? If so, i didnt realize!

7. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

I think due to loss of habitat and probably predation, they are not as numerous as they used to be. From an educational convention I went to a few years ago, I think hurricane Katrina seriously affected the population as well.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Cool. I was not aware that you were doing it in conjunction with the state programs.
    Far too many well meaning individuals just think that they will breed a species and then release the babies to help out the wild population.
    With disasterous results!

9. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

The AST is in a weird situation here in LA, they are still numerous and can be found if you know where to look, but at the same time the warning signs are there and its best to be prepared. As it stands right now, they are not protected in La like they are in other states because the population is still high, but LA is being proactive in keeping it that way. And yeah Easterns aren't native at all to LA, every once in a while you might find one that got lost and ended up here or hybrids between one and a Three toed, but they aren't very common