This Disappears When Logged In

Sunbeams?

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by ryanpb, Jul 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

Today at the Havre De Grace Reptile Expo I purchased A pair of Sunbeam Snakes (Xenopeltis unicolor), one male, and one female, I've seen pictures, but pictures don't do them justice. I'm hoping to breed the pair, though I hear it's something rarely ever accomplished, Just curious if anyone else here keeps, or knows someone who keeps, or breeds these guys, and could pass along any extra info to me about them i may have missed.

Any pertenent info about them is fine, though i'm mainly looking for breeding hints/advice/tips. temp, humidity, so on and so forth i understand.

This one here is the Male, the female is in the same tank, with a divider in place between the two, as they will eat other snakes.
    She's not feeling as curious so no pictures of her yet.

[​IMG]

2. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I don't have any information for you on breeding, but good luck with your pair. I read on a German site that they like to dig under the substrate, so you might want to put more in there.
    It's a pretty snake! :)

3. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

Thank You. Both of There setups are very incomplete, Tommorow i'll be buying the rest of the substrate and larger water bowls at work.

I plan on at least 6-8" of substrate, A mix of eco earth, with cypress mulch and moss.

4. venus

venus Founding Member

Nice, looks like it has rainbowish colors from the picture, lol

5. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

They actually Do.
    Think Reticulated Python iridescence but, even more shiny. Under that though, they're a dull brownish color.
    It's great seeing the difference in how they look between low indoor light and sunlight.

6. graduationxday

graduationxday Elite Member

Gorgeous snake.
    Good luck with them. :]

7. kcftlaud08

kcftlaud08 Elite Member

Good looking snake. Nice purchase. I don't have any advice but certainly wish you luck on the breeding.

8. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

Thanks everyone, I'll take all the luck on breeding them i can get, lol, hopefully after there acclimated, and have been eating steadily in a few months the'll be ready to introduce to each other.
    Luckily there already on rat pups, so that parts taken care of, but as they are wild caught, i want to give them time to settle in, and be looked over by a vet.

9. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Pretty snakes. :)

10. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Very nice. I wish I could see some of them at a local show here.

11. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

Pictures really don't do them justice.
    Hopefully once breeding catches on they will be more common in the trade.

12. kcftlaud08

kcftlaud08 Elite Member

So it's been a while since I've been able to demonstrate my inexperience. What the heck, here I go: If they eat other snakes, do they eat their own species also and/or how do you know when the mating urge is stronger than the urge to eat the other one?

13. graduationxday

Are there any breeders of these snakes out there?
    You said it was rarely accomplished..
    I'm just wondering that, if you're successful [[and we all hope you are :D]], if you'll be one of the first breeders of these snakes that there is.

14. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

There actually is not a whole lot of information on these guys, From what I've discerned, the chances of one eating another close to their size is very slim. I've actually heard of them being kept together without problems, and they were not separated when I bought them. All the sunbeams were in the same bin.
    I have not seen solid proof they will cannibalize, but I have not seen solid proof they won't, until I do I will treat them like there is always the chance.

Kept well fed, the chances of them eating another snake are slim, let alone eating each other, though I will have to be careful.

From what I've heard, I would not be the first to breed them, though I've not been able to find anyone selling captive bred sunbeams. I have stumbled across a few people claiming to possess captive bred sunbeams they purchased. I even found one name of someone who had bred them, with pictures of what appear to be juveniles from a buyer, but I couldn't find anything else about him.

From what I found I would be among one of few people who have bred them, if I manage to get them to breed (very much an IF)

15. graduationxday

Anything's a possibility until it has been proven not to happen.
    So, go for it with all you have.
    You have my best wishes, and I'm sure that goes for everyone else who's been to this thread.
    :]]

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Good luck with your endeavor!
    Be sure and keep careful notes of everything you do when you attempt to breed them.
    You may be able to add to the available knowledge on them!

17. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

Thanks, I'll have to remember to record everything, thanks everyone for the support.

18. graduationxday

It's no problem.
    Keep us updated :]]

19. barnkat

barnkat Elite Member

Wow! Very nice Ryan. I had never actually heard of one. They would be a real treat to see. Good luck with your raising of the two, and with your breeding program. As Merlin said, keep lots of notes so you can add to the knowledge base.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.