This Disappears When Logged In

Sunbeam Snake

Discussion in 'Colubrids *General*' started by Dragoness, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

So a little sunbeam snake followed me home.

He's in rough shape, a lot of stuck shed, but his activity level is good, and his body weight is decent.

These guys often get a skin condition in captivity if kept too dry (which he was before I got him, hence the stuck shed). It looks a lot like blister disease, but is treated differently for sunbeams. For other snakes, you dry them out, and keep them clean.

Sunbeams can be kept neither dry, nor clean - they require substrate for burrowing.

Currently, he is getting bathed twice a day in diluted betadine to help loosen skin, and keep lesions clean, as well as preventing substrate buildup on them.

After the stuck shed is off, it will be easier to assess how badly damaged his skin may be, and he will probably be liberally coated with liquid bandage to keep him from filling his wounds with dirt while burrowing.

I will of course, get pics when I can. We are not yet certain if he will require antibiotics.

Karma Momma and KrokadilyanGuy3 like this.
  2. Karma Momma

Karma Momma Active Member

Your post made me Google them....WOW! Gorgeous species! Can't wait to see pics of your new boy.