This Disappears When Logged In

Summer Time

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Dnm1012, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Dnm1012

Dnm1012 Elite Member

Well now that spring is just around the corner that means summer isn't to far behind. What do yall use for an outside enclosure for your beardies? I really want to take my little guy outside a few times a week when it's nice but I can't just let him roam freely (pesticides and dog poo). Suggestions?

2. jono

jono Elite Member

maybe if your little guy is comfortable being handled, you can use a hip leash and just have him hang on to you while you are out in the yard or walking the dog. but you would have to be pretty dang confident that he wouldnt try to escape or get skiddish. lol
    but if you would rather have him in an enclosure, you could use just about any wire cage that his thick, plastic coated wire with decent sized spacing. (not so big that he could slip out or get suck in the gaps, but not so small that he would get a toe stuck) you could go for a mesh cage too, but that would have to be the kind that has larger holes. or (this is my favorite idea) just build an open top enclosure out of wood. a simple 3x3 or 3x4 "box" would be perfect, provided you made it tall enough so he could not escape. you could put plastic coated wire or mesh "windows" on the sides for ventilation. a bit of climbing and hiding furniture, and that is a perfect outdoor enclosure. (in my opinion)

3. Dnm1012

Dnm1012 Elite Member

Just in case any one is wondering this would only be used for about 30 - 45 min a few times a day, not to house him outside on a permanant basis.

4. jono

jono Elite Member

lol thats good to hear. :p
    im sure most everyone who reads this would have assumed that.

5. Dnm1012

Dnm1012 Elite Member

Better safe than sorry though, right? Lol

By the way, I love your profile pic!!!

6. jono

jono Elite Member

very true.
    if you live in a place that is warm/sunny for a good part of the year, i think it would be well worth it to invest in building a simple wood box-style enclosure like i described above. personally i would just feel better about it rather than having him in a wire or mesh cage. and you could use some kind of hardware cloth/chicken wire type stuff to cover the top if youre worried about predators or escape.

7. jono

jono Elite Member

lol thanks.
    found it on google. :D

8. Dnm1012

Dnm1012 Elite Member

I live in okc, ok so our weather is kinda crazy. But in the summer time gets pretty warm. To warm to put him in a glass enclosure outside for any amount of time. I have seen the mesh enclosures but wanted to see what everyone else used.

9. Ashuresque

Ashuresque Elite Member

I have a harness for my dragon that slips around his front legs and connects in the back. I take him out sunbathing with me in the summer. 8D

10. Dnm1012

Dnm1012 Elite Member

Does he mind wearing it?

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just a warning on the box type of enclosure. Heat can build up rapidly in an enclosure closed on all four sides. I would make it totally out of hardware cloth. And have a place where the dragopn can get in out of the sun.
    As for leashes. The best is the hip leash. You make it yourself for about buck. It has the advantage of not going around the throat. I have used them for mine as well as my iguana. Reptile Hip Leash

12. Ashuresque

Ashuresque Elite Member

He doesn't mind it at all- I started off with him just wearing it inside before moving outdoors with it. I use this one. You could also easily make a hip leash like in Merlin's link.

13. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

I own both type mentioned above, and to be honest,,,the harness-type one (at least for me) was always a pain trying to put on my Beardies, and size-wise, they can outgrow pretty quick if you buy small....
    As for my own summer-time "outside time"...I generally just placed mine in a large "kiddie pool" (EMPTY of course...lol)...I would place my recliner lawnchair, a large piece of driftwood and a plastic step stool inside the pool....(food was placed in dish under the step stool)... My Beardies absolutely LOVED being outside, and to be honest, if I was laying on the Recliner, they were generally perched/basking on top of my shoulder or legs instead of using their basking log.......(at least until a bird or plane flew overhead...then they would bolt for under the log or chair and stay there for a while.)
    If I was working in the garden and not in the pool with them, then I used some chicken wire to wrap around the outer edges of the pool to make it taller, so that they could not jump over the edge...(Of course I always stayed in the yard with them, and had a visual eye on them..(unfortunately, during the summer months we also have "stray cats" roaming around occassionally and even though we do have the tall wooden privacy fence enclosing our backyard, stray cats have been known to jump it at times and although I've never seen them back there when I have had the Beardies outside, I wouldn't want to chance it, so I never leave them unattended....
    To be honest, if I get motivated this summer, I am thinking of building a more permanent outdoor enclosure...but considering I already had the old pool and wire fencing, I just made due, and at least for me, it worked GREAT

14. Dnm1012

Dnm1012 Elite Member

Hmm never thought about the pool idea....

15. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

A large rabbit cage also works very well for med sized reptiles. My blue tongues loved theirs and large ones don't tend to cost much. The cage a few rocks your set.

16. Dnm1012

Dnm1012 Elite Member

I have a bearded dragon I would be afraid he would damage his feet or legs with something like that. Thoughts?

17. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

I suppose if you put something solid in the cage to line the bottom it (rabbit cage) would work...just make sure you also have plenty of shade provided...because the Beardies do still need to be able to retreat from the sun at times.... (which is why I've always used the flat surface of the pool to place my lawn chair with a couple beach towels on it...provides plenty of shade and always them to "duck and take cover" if they get spooked by a plane or bird...)
    One other think regarding using pools...the first one I had was the "hard plastic kind", and those get VERY hot, so personally I layed an old blanket/comforter on the bottom of it and then placed the chair, stool and piece of driftwood in there....now granted, most of the time the Beardies would be basking on the dritwood (or on me...:rolleyes:), but I still wanted to make sure that they (okay, realistically it might have been because my own feet are very tender..lol) either way, we had a "floor" that wasn't too hot to walk on.... When they outgrew that pool, I went to using one of of those vinyl type ones that aren't made of the hard plastic....(they can roll up for easier storage too)..it doesn't get quite as hot on the "flooring"...
    Either Way, both worked for me and my Beardies....

18. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Mine hates when his leash is put on, but he'll wear it all day if it means he gets to go outside and eat the grass and run around in the sun. And I know in OK there are nasty spiders and such, as well as hawks and other predators who would love a tasty lizard snack. So if you want to have an outdoor enclosure, you need to have a top.

19. Merlin

Most rabbit cages I have seen is simple 1/4 inch hardware cloth. And since it will be sitting on the ground there should not be an issue.

Now the circular opening "chicken wire" type of mesh should be avoided.

THAT can cut off toes!

20. Merlin

And just a warning since summer is coming on us soom(HOPEFULLY). Remember that fireflies are toxic to dragons!