This Disappears When Logged In

Suddenly Aggressive..

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by ughjames, May 21, 2014.

1. ughjames

ughjames Member

I have a new Burmese. She is eight months old and roughly three feet. I purchased her (my second Burmese, btw) from a reputable breeder. I have owned her since she was five weeks old.

Has been wonderful! No problems, great feeder and puppy dog tame. I have her housed in an appropriate sized enclosure with regular hot/cool sides, hides, perfect humidity ect.

However, five weeks ago, post shed she began to refuse food. I feed her f/t. It has been four weeks since her last shed/feed. She has pooped. Temps in her enclosure are consistent and stable. Continued daily handling ect. However, she wont eat (I have continued with f/t, tried immediately killed live, scenting, live and even smaller food choices ect) and nothing seems to be working. All she does is go after the tongs, me or anything near her enclosure. She has not lost weight, very active and has no internally issues as my vet has seen her for a check up. I did give her a 12 day break from trying to offer her food.

Since all of this began she has been extremely bity and defensive. She will lunge at anything that comes near her tank and once out of the enclosure is the same. I figured at first it was just young age, as my other female burm did that when she was younger. However, it is now to the point where she flattens out and hisses, strikes NON STOP at anyone or anything that comes in the room. This is something that my other Burmese did not do.

I have put newspaper around the back and sides of the enclosure last week, hoping she just wanted even MORE privacy. I do handle her, daily and the biting just does not stop. I have hook trained her since she was six weeks old and now, the hook is the first thing she goes for, then my hand/arm ect.

I guess what I'm asking is, if I am missing something or if you have any pointers on how to get her back on a normal feeding schedule and perhaps help ease her defensive mood lately.

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Have there been any changes outside the cage? As in moved to a new location, new pet or something running around, extra kid activities or any loud noises? Sounds like it may be something in it's environment. I would hold off on feeding for a bit since it's not losing weight, and see if it calms down if you leave it alone. So no handling for a bit.

3. ughjames

ughjames Member

No outside of the enclosure changes. No new pets, nothing. Same set up in the same private room since I brought her home. Shes gotten so "aggressive" I worry shes going to hurt herself from hitting the enclosure so hard, repeatedly

4. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I have this same problem with an adult carpet python without the aggression. It's so wierd. Nothing has changed. Nothing.

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Well, I'm at a loss. Maybe try relocating the cage then. If it was eating I would say it was hungry, as I've seen hungry burms get like this. There is the possibility too that this individual is simply going to be a permanent pain in the rear. Rare with burms but not unheard of. Like I said, give her some time off from handling and wait at least a couple weeks to try and feed.
    Something that just occurred to me, on the last shed, did the eyecaps come off, and was it a clean shed? I did have a big girl that would get super irritable when she was blue, and if yours is having an issue like that it would explain a lot.

6. ughjames

ughjames Member

She actually ate last night. Calmed down and stopped attacking the tank. Im going to give her a couple weeks now to shed and calm down some. Thanks!

7. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

So how is she doing now? Has she shed properly?

8. ughjames

ughjames Member

She is GREAT! She is back on food, shed twice and has no striking/hiss/biting issues.