This Disappears When Logged In

Sudden Owner Of Two Monitors. Need Help!! Sorry For The Long Post

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by JessicaB1982, Dec 23, 2018.

1. JessicaB1982

JessicaB1982 New Member

Hello, Sorry for the really long post but trying to give as much info as possible.
    A couple of weeks ago I suddenly became the new owner of a Savannah and a Peach throat Monitor and desperately need advice on both. I have a good handle on temps and humidity for each. Its mainly their diets that I fuzzy on. I know what they eat just no how much and how often. Both are not in the best of shape. They both have vet appointments scheduled but that wont be until after the first of the year and need some advise before then

The Savannah Monitor:
    I have no clue on actual gender but going to call male for now. We call him Savi. I just found out he is extremely undersized. Have been told he is probably 9 months or older. The people that the Savi was rescued from kept him/her in a tank that is the length of a 20 long but a little taller. They also could barely get any food down him. We are currently building him a new enclosure that will be about 6 ft L x 6 ft w x 4 ft H. As for food we have been able to get him to eat about 15 crickets. Going to try small rodents tomorrow. So any idea how often and how much he should eat at a time?

Current temps are at 130-140 hotspot, ambient temps range from around 100 degrees to 75 degrees Fahrenheit from hot side to cold side. Night temps are between 85 degrees to 75 degrees. Humidity usually stays around 60%

The Peach Throat Monitor:

I have no idea how old the Peach Throat is or what gender but we call him Walter. He is in much better shape then Savi. With him I have a better idea of how to care for him except his diet. The people he was rescued from kept him in a cage that is about 3 ft L x 2 ft w x 2.5 ft H. The enclosure we are building him will be around 8 ft L x 6 ft W x 8 ft H. He eats pretty well now. I know that he has pretty much lived on a diet of fish before. They said they couldn't get him to eat anything else (they feed live rodents only). For us he has no problem eating crickets, superworms, and small mice. So any idea how often and how much he should eat at a time?

Current temps are at 130-140 hotspot, ambient temps range from around 100 degrees to 75 degrees Fahrenheit from hot side to cold side. Night temps are between 85 degrees to 75 degrees. Humidity usually stays around 75 to 80% and he has a water bowl that's big enough to swim in (old snake water bowl I used for adult ball python)

Sorry in advance for the crappy pictures. I only had my phone.
    Pics list below: First two of Savannah and the others of the Peach throat.

20181206_224040.jpg 20181209_005146.jpg received_260026668022169[1].jpeg received_434767110391171[1].jpeg
    20181210_162248.jpg

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

They are eating and that's great. Usually I would say give them as much as they want but it can be hard on them if they are not in great health. So maybe 10 mins of eating 2 to 3 times a day. It's really a guess as only you can tell how they are doing. If you can weigh them once a week, that will help you know.
    Humidity is vitally important for monitors. You say you have it under control. But the key is to MAINTAIN humidity. The screen top you show is very bad. Unless you live in a humid environment and your room is humid.
    Keep up the good work. Being surprised with 2 monitors is impossible to setup perfectly but sounds like you know more than most.

Darkbird likes this.
  3. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

You'll make your life easier if you can get the screen covered, lowers the amount of misting or watering you have to do. Good luck with them, I'd say once they've been eating fairly regular for a bit let them pig out until they get back to a healthy weight.