This Disappears When Logged In

Sudanese Eggs

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by kriminaal, Jun 23, 2016.

1. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I was doubtful my Sudanese was going to lay eggs. She didn't look very full. But still I provided a few options for egg laying. Tonight after work she looked very flat. I looked in the nest box and say that the dirt was leveled out. Dug up 8 eggs, dirty though from the dirt so I can't tell yet if they are fertile. A little flat so we'll see if they plump up for me.

The video shows why I disagree with people when they say to never give Uros water.
    Post-laying they are extremely thirsty.

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Not sure where that comes from, mine usually have a small water dish available, and never had a problem. I never see them use it, but no problems, lol. Good luck on those being fertile.

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

They say because it creates humidity, but from a small dish in a 4ft enclosure--really?
    My female is not friendly in the least. When I opened the door she literally came to me begging for something. Took me a minute to figure out it wasn't food. I dipped the leaf in the water for her to lick it and then led her to the dish with it. She is not used to drinking standing water.

4. Gaaaaaaaaaard

Gaaaaaaaaaard Elite Member

I don't know it to be true but I've heard it's an issue or risk of possible aspiration as they're not accustomed to drinking water. What I've seen recommends very shallow or something like stones (large enough to not be eaten) to make the bowl "safer". Mine doesn't get water but I've though about it. When I upgrade in size, soon, I will likely add a small exo-terra one like the one in the video.