This Disappears When Logged In

Substrates

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by CornyBoa, Mar 12, 2013.

1. CornyBoa

CornyBoa Active Member

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a substrate that is mold resistant but retains moisture? I have been using eco earth for my red tail but its been getting moldy rather quickly. My cage is a 40-gallon breeder that doesn't hold humidity well at all so newspaper and the carpet stuff wouldn't work. I'm thinking about using fir and sphagnum moss, would this work or would it not be good for a red tail?

2. lopez82

lopez82 Elite Member

Cyprus mulch its said to hold mister well and not mold to badly.

3. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

You can use paper towels, i use these. As for humidity if you cover some of the screen with moist paper towels (provided you don't have a lamp), and move the water bowl closer over to the warm side, and this will raise humidity.

Also, a 40 gallon breeder will not work forever, so when you are building the adult enclosure you need to take humidity into consideration.

If it were me, i would forgo the tank alltogether and get a sterlite/ rubbermaid tub from walmart, modify it so that it can fit locks on every place the snake could possibly get out of (one suitcase lock on each corner and side or something like that) , and then use this to house the snake for now, upgrading to bigger but similar tubs as time goes on. But make sure to drill plenty of air holes, a mistake a lot of people make is not drilling enough holes.

4. CornyBoa

CornyBoa Active Member

I am aware of this and I am only using it temporarly, I've been looking into enclosures and am trying to decided what the best options are or if I want to make one of my own. I have the screen covered with moist paper towels and two water bowls in the enclosure, one in the warm end an one in the cool end. I do have a cemeric heat emitter because the UTH can't keep it hot enough alone.