This Disappears When Logged In

Substrate Stuck In Mouth

Discussion in 'Blood Pythons' started by Gaaaaaaaaaard, May 10, 2015.

1. Gaaaaaaaaaard

Gaaaaaaaaaard Elite Member

So my new blood Python has been burrowing a bit the last week or so. He's about 5 months old and about 18 inches or so. He's been buried since Thursday evening after his meal. I went to check on him today and pulled him out only to realize he had a mouthful of substrate. I've managed to get a bit by soaking and kinda picking at what was protruding with some tongs. He just "yawned" and I could still see a bit in his mouth. Not so much in the middle but all around the edges. He's on Miltons ecological litter as a substrate. It's a ground coco fiber that looks and feels identical to Eco earth. I've heard it'll digest fine but I'm not wanting to take any chances with his health. What should I do? Leave it or try to pry his south open with a card to remove it?

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

While they don't actually digest the material, it will pass through their system without any issue. If it's not causing any issues I would just leave it be, it's normally going to be more stress than its worth to get the mouth rinsed out. I have had to do that with a snake before, and its not fun for the snake or the keeper.