This Disappears When Logged In

Substrate / Impaction Question

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by reptar20, Nov 5, 2012.

1. reptar20

reptar20 Member

I bought my Mexican black king in early august and I have been keeping him on an aspen shaving substrate. I feed him outside of his tank so that he doesnt eat any of his substrate, however I read that a sandy looking substance in stool may be a sign of impaction. could he possibly be eating his substrate when im not around or could he have injested substrate at the pet store before he was purchased? other than noticing the sandy stuff in his stool he seems very happy and healthy! is he most likely fine?

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I am no expert on snakes and haven't kept any for Long periods of time. But impaction is usually the inability to pass stool. So considering that he is fed outside his tank and is on shaved substrate, and still passing stool he is more than likely fine. Lots of people use the aspen bedding without issue.
    As log as he is healthy and well supported(has appropriate setup, temps, diet, etc) then impaction shouldn't be an issue for an reptile.

3. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Is it sand or maybe hair from food? Reason I ask is because sometimes when my boys and girls poop their feces, the hair doesn't always digest all the way so it comes out looking a bit sandy and (cannot believe I'm saying this) feels kind of like it too. My suggestion? Keep an eye out for odd behavior. If your really worried, take aspen up and lay newspaper down a few weeks. It's good practice anyways.

4. reptar20

reptar20 Member

okay good just makin sure thanks guys

5. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

Are you feeding pinkies? From what i have learned pinkies can often result in a runny sandyish poop