This Disappears When Logged In

Substrate Change Question

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by crepers86, Mar 4, 2012.

1. crepers86

crepers86 Elite Member

next wednesday I am going out of town for five days. I currently keep all my snakes on newspaper. I used to use aspen bedding, but it was was a miss to clean up off carpet. I also have been reading about some snakes like my boa burrowing in the substrate can cause it to feel a little extra secure, and might working on the matter of "calming" it down. I am also planning on doing this in the case that if they poop and pee it makes clean up a little bit easier and keeps the cage a little cleaner since I wont be there to clean till I get back. So what are ya'll thoughts

Oh yeah I just thought on bass coming through the floor. My snake tubs sit on the floor and my roommate through no respect of my animals likes to turn his bass up high... Could this be harmful to the snakes I should I sit them up off the floor.

2. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

The "noise" from the bass could be stressful since snakes sense vibrations.

3. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

I use aspen and I like the ease in cleaning a lot. As for your tubs I would defiantely get them of the ground. You could place them on your bed for the time you're away and come up with something better for the long run

4. crepers86

crepers86 Elite Member

I am not done yet but this is what I came up with and the bricks are brand new so they look rather nice. I am actually getting a book shelf later tomorrow and the baby tub will sit on it until I upgrade her tub.

download-1.jpg

Attached Files:

5. crepers86

crepers86 Elite Member

oh yeah don't worry I tested the sturdyness of them both and there is no wobble

6. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

The cinder blocks will transfer those vibrations just as much as the floor. (EDIT: what kind of blocks are they?? Soft foam??)

at least on the bed the vibrations are absorbed by the mattress and box springs.

I seized my Royal Python from a young person who had his enclosure sitting in a "party room" next to a speaker tower on the grounds of animal abuse.

I would cut the cones out of your roommate's woofers or throw that juggalo out before I would allow any further sonic assault to my snakes.

7. crepers86

crepers86 Elite Member

You ever seen ghost hunters when they use the device to measure vibrations in the ground it was extremely scensative. My roommate and I used to ghost hunt... long befor we lived together. I still had all the equipment, includin one of those devices. The only way you can ever cut vibrations off to your snakes is 1 one not have no sound or movement and be on a cement floor. I live in a beach house... its on top the garage. So there is vibes from walking. But witthe device I tested how much vibratiojs wa coming through... it was verry little because the tubs are not sitting directly on the floor.

And I can't kick him out... he was ont the lease for 6 months, me only 2