This Disappears When Logged In

Stuff from Outside - Palm Fronds, Spanish Moss, Etc - Safe?

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by CTU2fan, Nov 20, 2014.

1. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Went for a walk today and noticed all the loose palm fronds around, and it occurred to me that they'd be kind of nice as ground cover/hides in my lizard/snake cages. I like getting creative, and I like a bit more of a natural look to my enclosures as opposed to newspaper and plastic hide boxes. But I'm concerned if they'd be safe, or if I'd need to do something to make them safe(r). I'd definitely grab some from places that aren't sprayed.

The other thing I looked at specifically was Spanish moss, though that stuff seems kinda buggy a lot of the time and maybe not worth messing with.

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I used spanish moss in my enclosures when I lived in FL, and my boas loved it. Hard to clean, but very easy to replace where you live. For stuff like the fronds and branches, you can bake them, or wash them with bleach. I microwaved the spanish moss.

3. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Awesome, never thought of microwaving it. Something I'll need to do when my wife is out, she's already gonna grumble about bags of mice in the freezer haha.

And yes that stuff is everywhere, super easy to swap in and out.