This Disappears When Logged In

Stuck Shed Or Rough Patch Around Injection Site?

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by Taiga93, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Taiga93

Taiga93 Member

So I have had my boa about a month and he came to me with an r.i. It actually seems to be clearing up which is the good news. He had a shed the other day that went well except for the spot where he's been getting injections for his r.i. The vet recommended soaking and shed ease but it's not budging. I'm not sure if it's stuck shed or just trauma to the injection site. He doesn't seem to be in any discomfort because of it but I don't want any additional problems to arise. Has anyone dealt with this? It's not flaky like most stuck shed I've seen in pictures, just rough.

2. Atroxus

Atroxus Well-Known Member

If all of the injections were done in the exact same spot, it could be scarring, though that's just guesswork on my part.

Taiga93 likes this.
  3. Taiga93

Taiga93 Member

Yep. All in the same spot. I'd post pictures but I'm not sure how well they would show up. It's near his tail and his coloration is very dark. It does appear to be a smaller area since the initial shed but still rough with no sign of peeling/softening.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It often takes wounds a couple of sheds to heal up. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    Taiga93 likes this.
  5. Taiga93

Taiga93 Member

Ok great. The upside is... No wheezing from the r.i. yesterday! And some of his previous facial scarring looks better after he shed. I think he's on the upswing.

Atroxus likes this.
  6. Atroxus

That is great to hear! :) How about some pics of your Boa? I had a very large red-tailed boa about 20 years ago. My wife is just getting over her fear of reptiles and she isn't quite ready for anything larger than a ball python though, so for now I have to get my boa fix at the local reptile store and/or vicariously through internet images. ;)

7. Taiga93

Taiga93 Member

I'll take a pic when I get home. For some reason it won't let me upload the pictures I already have. I don't know his genetics but I think he's a common boa, possibly Nicaraguan locality. He's very dark in coloration with really defined saddles and freckles on his underside. He's also very iridescent for a boa.

I know what you mean about the reptile store- we have limited room so we're only able to have a small number of reptiles and probably won't get another until we're out of the weeds completely with the r.i. I went in yesterday to get feeders and just drooled over the woma and blood python they have. I live vicariously through them a lot. Boyfriend wants a reverse stripe king snake. He's really into colubrids and I like the big-ish constrictors.

Oh also if size is an issue, some boa localities don't get as large. Mine is about 4.5 to 5 ft. Granted, there may be some stunted growth there due to the underweight/long term respiratory issues, but Nicaraguans and a few others don't typically get as big.

8. Atroxus

I am sure my wife will come around eventually. Just last year she wouldn't touch a snake. A little over a month ago she fell in love with a banana ball python so I bought it for her. She named him Loki, and she has been holding him every day since with the exception of the 24-48 hours after he eats. A couple weeks ago she said she was okay with me breeding small lizards, but not snakes. Last night she mentioned that she wanted a "chocolate snake" then slipped up and told me she wants me to get something darker "when you start breeding snakes". So I figure it is just a matter of time till she gives me the go ahead to get a boa, then a bit longer for a reticulated python. ;)

Taiga93 likes this.
  9. Taiga93

Taiga93 Member

Retics are so pretty but I don't think I'll ever have room for one. There are dwarf and super dwarf retics but it's still a lot of snake haha. I also love big monitor lizards but it's the same problem with them. Maybe one day when I'm rich and famous. :p

I think she'll definitely come around. If she's around a boa, she'll probably fall in love. They have a wonderful personality.

10. Atroxus

Ya the local store has an albino boa they really want me to buy, but she is about 2-3 times the size of our ball pythons, so my wife still gets nervous when I hold that one and won't pet her....yet. :)

Taiga93 likes this.
  11. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

I breed Columbian rainbows, if you want the hookup send me a dm ;). They are small boas, semi arboreal, and definitely "chocolate" looking.

Taiga93 likes this.