This Disappears When Logged In

Stress?

Discussion in 'Skinks' started by MintyGamer, Aug 16, 2018.

1. MintyGamer

MintyGamer Member

So I have an orange-throated skink, and I was told to care for it like a fire skink, and so I have.
    I give it 3-5 mealworms and 2 small dubia roaches daily. The last 4-5 days it hasn't eaten
    Typically it also burries itself, but it hasn't for a while.
    It's in a 20gal vivarium set-up, and lately I've noticed it trying to climb the walls to get out... I know in beardies this can be a sign of a too-small enclosure, does that match with skinks too?
    It also recently shedded, if that matters--

2. MintyGamer

MintyGamer Member

I just realized something...
    So when the skink wouldn't eat, I would let some insects free in it's enclosure, and I've noticed her spitting out a little of the substrate in her tank...
    She was most likely a wild caught critter and I figured she might eat if it's more like her environment...
    Its probably eating fine, but there's still the worry of it trying to climb it's tank and not burrying itself, it doesn't even use it's hide...

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Well, I'm not an expert with this species, or skinks in general really, but with most reptiles they will burrow when they want to feel secure or for more humidity. If yours isn't, but is eating ok, then it's probably no big deal. As for the glass dancing, reptiles don't really "get" glass, so it takes them a while in a new setup to understand that they can't go that way. Most figure it out to some extent eventually. You could try leaving the insects in a smooth sided dish, so that they can't escape, but the lizard has the food available. Also, dish or no, it's a good idea to leave a piece of carrot or something for the crickets to munch on, as they won't pester the lizard then.

4. MintyGamer

MintyGamer Member

I don't use crickets currently, only mealworms and dubia
    Though I always put the critters in a mealworm dish, I think it's gotten a liking to the dubia and just wants a rest from mealworms (I had to feed mealworms for a few days so that the dubia colony could start up) for now and that's why she won't touch 'em
    I haven't seen any sign of dubia in her tank, so she's probably hunting them down lol
    Thank you!

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Ahh, sorry, I just assumed crickets and obviously didn't read your post well enough. You should be able to set up a dish that will contain the roaches as well. Dubias tend to dissapear into a cage and hide till they die, or only come out at night. Also, if this is a glass tank, I have on occasion seen them make their way up the lines of silicone, and once they reach the plastic rim they can usually find a way out. That's why I usually put them in one of the glazed ceramic crocks. They can't get out, unless they climb out on the lizard, which does happen, and you can get a good idea of how much is being eaten, even if you don't see it happen.