This Disappears When Logged In

Stress

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Jes123, Jan 6, 2013.

1. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

What thala said. Part of being a responsible reptile owner is having an enclosure that will last for its entire life. A ten gallon simply will not suffice. You want to do everything right this time around to give your new friend the best life possible. Patience will pay off in the end. Don't get a Leo just to get something. That ten gallon is too small for a Leo. If you have money for a larger enclosure that is wonderful! But can you pay for lighting, food , enclosure furniture and an emergency fund for a vet trip should a problem arise? You will want to have a fecal done as well.

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I think if you really want a reptile you should start with a Leo. The lighting costs aren't as much as they don't need any type of lighting unless it is for additional heat so you save in bulb costs. They do need an under tank heater on a thermostat but they don't take too much electricity. You could breed a small colony of mealworms to keep food costs down. And it would be simple enough to set up the cage before you buy one. So then you would only need a smaller savings to use as an emergency fund.
    Then once you are used to caring for a Leo and you have a decent paying job you could look into adding a bearded dragon. I would stay away from CWDs until after you are done with school and have a place of your own as their care is much more expensive in all aspects then a Leo or beardie.

3. Jes123

Jes123 Elite Member

I can easily buy a 20 gallon tank and the Leo and furniture but I heard that your supposed to start with a smaller tank so you don't overwhelm them I was going to set him up in my 10 gallon and after a month or so buy a 20 gallon and set it up then ease him into it so he dosent become to stressed out

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

No starting in the 20 would be fine. They aren't known for being timid hunters (like dart frogs or cresties) so no need for the smaller tank. Stores tell you that so you are forced to buy multiple tanks and spend more money.
    I also think you should set up the enclosure and start the meal worm colony before ou get your Leo.

5. Jes123

Jes123 Elite Member

My ten gallon just broke so now I have to buy a 20gallon

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Were you playing the wii and threw the remote at it? That has happened a couple times in my house...

7. Jes123

Jes123 Elite Member

hahaha, no i was disinfecting it completly with blech and hot water and i filled it to much and the bottom cracked so now im looking for a 20 gallon

8. Jes123

Jes123 Elite Member

anyone know where i can buy a good tank?

9. NoahG

NoahG Well-Known Member

Check out Petco: in my area at least they're having their dollar-per-gallon sale, that way you can get a brand new tank (that you might have to clean, but not disinfect as much as a secondhand tank) for a good price.

10. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Sometimes second hand shops have them as well or again Craigslist searching. You can get a larger tank if you find one for a good price but 20gal is the minimum.

11. Jes123

Jes123 Elite Member

12. Jes123

Jes123 Elite Member

what if i got the medium and simply flip it on its side so then i can have a door i just flip open i can cover the will be floor with something hard (ply wood or a few layers of repti carpet) Zoo Med ReptiBreeze, Habitats | PetSolutions

13. NoahG

NoahG Well-Known Member

Which 40-gallon are you considering? The 40-gallon breeders are on sale at Petco as well. Or, as Thala mentioned, Craigslist and secondhand places typically have them for less than the $68 base price that site offers, or even the $55 for their 40-gallon tall.

Just figured I'd mention that.

ETA: if you're going with a Leo or a Beardie you'd probably be best staying away from screen enclosures as they won't keep the heat in as well, which will make things more difficult for you (especially for a Beardie). Also, a 40-gallon breeder would be larger if that's something you're really considering.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  14. Jes123

Jes123 Elite Member

the 40 gallon long

15. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yeah the screen is a really bad idea. They should only be used for chameleons and even the. They need modifications.
    If you can make the investment I really like the exoterra front opening enclosures and the 36x18x18 is a nice big size for a Leo. Or it could house a smaller beardie for a little while (my female is in one, eventually I wilk move her into something larger). I think they are on sale at petsmart for $135 which is pretty much what you will pay(if not a little cheaper) if you were to order online as shipping costs in tanks are ridiculous and you can't guarantee that it will come in in one piece.

16. Jes123

Jes123 Elite Member

17. NoahG

NoahG Well-Known Member

Yea, sorry, their "40 long" is pretty much the same as a 40-gallon breeder.

The Exo-Terras are nice for sure -- you could also do their 36"x18"x12" for a Leo (that's the one I'm planning to buy for my guy). I've been waiting for them to go on sale at my work, but I might end up waiting for another 30%-off thing because it seems the one I want never goes on sale. If you go online rather than to a PetSmart though, good luck finding one for less (especially less than $135): I've tried everywhere I've come across and haven't managed to find a 36"-long Exo-Terra even for the price at PetSmart. That's without factoring in shipping or anything.

If you can get to a reptile show, however, check that out for one: that's probably your best bet finding a 36"-long Exo-Terra for less than $135.

As for the 55-gallon, if you're still getting it with a Beardie in mind it'll be too narrow -- much too narrow.

18. Jes123

Jes123 Elite Member

im going with a Gecko so it will be great for him ill block some of it off for feeding so he wont have to chace them around the whole cage

19. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

The 55 would be an awesome gecko set up!

20. Jes123

Jes123 Elite Member

today im asking about getting one! i have a way to take care of him even if we go out of town and if my mom needs him out of the house for a few days i have a friend who says shed love to take care of him (she has a bearded dragon) im telling her how the only thing she will have to do is drive me to the petstore and maybe hardware store. im telling her what i plan to do (buy the tank set it up save more money buy some more decor and the lizard and the food calcium etc...) im also going to tell her how it can be somewhat of a family pet and get everyone into it (after about 2 weeks ill be the only one careing for him my family will probably lose intresrt)
    whish me luck :)