This Disappears When Logged In

Stress

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Jes123, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Jes123

Jes123 Elite Member

Hey guys so after my cwd died i missed haveing a lizards so i decided im going to try and get my mom to let me own a bearded dragon the one i want is on craiglist she looks healthy even though shes three years old and has lived almsot completly off of vegtables she is $150 (this includes lighting, Terrarium, and decor) the substrate is sand and i want to replace it with repti carpet for a little bit untill i can get some tile. my big concern is how do i not stress her out when i move her into my house (if i get her).
    also, my friend owns a bearded dragon and has agreed to take her in if she becomes sick or if something else happens and i need to have my friend take her for a little bit. So does anyone know how to not stress her.

Any tips on how to get my mom to be more open to letting me get her? i think i have something pretty convincing already though!

2. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

If she's been strictly on veggies, she's probably got serious health issues. Causing you a lot of heartache and vet bills. Not to mention $150.00 wasted. Baby bearded dragons go for $50.00 at reptile shows all day long. I would get a baby instead of one that more than likely has issues. Just my opinion. There is no way to keep an animal stress free during a move. For $150, you could get a setup off craigslist, and a baby from a breeder.

3. Jes123

Jes123 Elite Member

it says that she has had some crickets but not much, but i would like to get a lizard who is in need of a better home but i guess a petstore keeps them in those small 5 gallon tanks so id still be giving it a much better home.

can you give me some good advice on rasieing a baby dragon because a lot of websites contridict themselves

4. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

A few crickets is not enough as babys they need like 80% protein (crickets, mealworms, etc) 20% veggies. Then its 50/50 then 20% protein, 80 veggies as adults. Crickets actually have the smallest protein in them. I rarely feed mine crickets. As babies, you want to make sure you get them used to hand feeding and holding. Dust calcium powder on feedings every other day. We feed in am and pm. Other than that, Get temps right. Don't use sand until older, or never. I use newspaper usually. There is a subarticle under bearded dragons caresheet on here about feeding. That's what I use for feeding guide. I would still go to a breeder though. Pet store pets are hit or miss usually miss. The employees usually don't know enough or care enough to properly care for them. Your still getting someone's mess. I understand about the rescuing. Trust me I'm a foster mom for large snakes. They've also cost me a lot of money too. Between vets, etc. Maybe if its something you want to do, see if there is a reptile rescue in your area you could volunteer at. You would still be helping misplaced animals. It's very rewarding.

5. Jes123

Jes123 Elite Member

im not sure if theres a local breeder here but i can look. My friend got hers at petco and hes alive and well. if i get a dragon from a petstore is it possible for me to almost assure that he is healthy before i buy it i know the basics ( clear alert eyes no bumps on there body no bite marks active and excited) what else should i look for?

6. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Look at what its being fed too. Maybe ask to see it during feeding. You don't want one that's being bullied, but you don't want a bully either. Maybe someone can step in and weigh in about that. Look for reptile shows too. There's breeders you'll find there too. It's a reptile lovers paradise. Lol.

7. Jes123

Jes123 Elite Member

thats a great idea im about to check out the caresheet, thanks for all of the great advice

8. DragonsKeepers

DragonsKeepers Subscribed User Premium Member

A three year old beard ie should eat 80-90 percent veggies and 10-20 percent prey items. So you are fine there. I also think it's a good idea to buy an older one that has been through the tougher early months of life. You are also getting a habitat for that cost, another plus.

I would agree that you should find out what veggies, etc. and see if a vet has been used in the past. When you get the cage, and clean it really well just to be safe and understand that adjustment make take a couple of weeks. Keep other pets or chaos out of sight for a while to minimize stressing the dragon.

Do you have a picture or the beardie for reference? Its size should tell you a lot about its health. Also what size is the tank? And plan on switching out the UVB unless you have a meter to check the UVB output of the bulb.

If you're looking at a baby, just remember that the first six weeks of life are very tough and some simply do not live through it for a number of different reasons. You might also check out the shelter in your area - a lot of people get pets for Christmas and then realize they don't want the work that goes with it.

Good luck and update us when you decide what to do.

9. Jes123

Jes123 Elite Member

10. Jes123

Jes123 Elite Member

i just found out that female dragons lay eggs even if they dont have a mate is this something i need to prepare for like makeing a special place for her to lay them or do they just lay them and then i can throw them out?

11. DragonsKeepers

DragonsKeepers Subscribed User Premium Member

She is very thin looking for a three year old beardie. That task is too small for her and the items in it would need to be thoroughly cleaned, etc. If you are still interested, I would offer $50 for everything and explain why. $150 for that setup and dragon is way too high in my opinion (especially since the owner thinks their own care is not good).

Yes, they will lay eggs, but am unsure what is needed for beardies. Check the care sheet for info (I have beardies but I'm about a year away from the egg age and size.

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It's hard to tell from the photo but that dragon looks seriously underweight and possibly dehydrated.
    What is clear from the photo is that that tank is not nearly large enough for the lizard!

13. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Like the others say that tank is way too small for an adult beardie. If you where to take her in she'll need a larger home asap. The cat water dish thing has to go too, a water dish they can get into and soak is the best. For that price I would pass. For the amount of money your going to have to put into her your best off finding a breeder and starting with a hatchling. It doesn't take them long to get use to you and if you keep hands off a week, allow it to destress and fed a proper diet it'll do fine.

14. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I agre with them. You should pass on this dragon. But I think you do need to get a full grown beardie as they are hardier and food costs will be a lot cheaper which is a good thig for your parents and might help away your mom.
    A baby dragon can eat 100 crickets a day which is basically $10 if you buy from local stores and if you buy in bulk online you have to deal with the cost of shipping, housing, and feeding the crickets. As well as the odor and escapees.
    Where as an adult beardie will eat a handful of salad and 10 or so crickets a day and this should only cost $2-3.
    The downfall if getting an adult is that you need the larger cage right away. Something along the lines of a 4x2x2 is good.

15. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Contact these people to see if they have any beardies ready to be rehomed: REPTILE RESCUE

16. Jes123

Jes123 Elite Member

Thanks for the feedback if i do decided i want to get her i my highest offer would be $60 or i might see if shes willing to only sell the dragon for $30 then i would buy nice cage and a ton of crickets, mealworms, and veggies. but if i dont get her ill keep looking for an adult my mom would kill me if i spent that much money on crickets, im about to look at that link

17. Jes123

Jes123 Elite Member

i cheeked out the link and as long as my mom says yes ill call them imediatly (im going to ask her tommorrow todays her b day and she might be in a good mood tomorrow.) im telling her how bearded dragons make good pets and im asking for support im also telling her she will have nothing to do with him that i will pay for everything! i also said that if she wants me to get a smaller one to start with ill get a jumbo leapord gecko or a regular gecko or two

18. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I feel like this not a good idea yet. You should show her you intend to be fully responsible for its care by first providing an adequate enclosure with proper lighting and substrate and digital therm/hydrometer. Once you have the set up complete and tested out the heating/ humidity show her what you have done. Tell her your next step is to save up $200 for a fecal and if necessary vet visit. Also have money for food and to pay the spike in the electric bill.

19. Jes123

Jes123 Elite Member

thats a good idea, but i only have a ten gallon tank and i would need a 55 gallon tank and would need my moms permission to get one which i have the money for already unless you would suggest getting a leapord gecko first to prove to her im ressponsible

20. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

A bearded dragon will need closer to a 90gal as a 55gal just isn't deep enough. And a Leo will need a 20gal.