This Disappears When Logged In

Strange Question

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by Midori, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Midori

Midori Elite Member

Has anyone used their Kingsnake in any manner to deter rattlesnakes? I might be moving to an area where rattlesnakes are really common. As in on the property near where we would live and a friend we know has killed one that was at least 5 feet. Don't really condone that but it bit his dog and he almost lost her to the bite.

I keep horses, chickens and own dogs and cats. I was wondering if something like keeping a kingsnake on the property might help at least keep rattlesnakes away. Or if I had one I could use kingsnake poo to scare them off. I really hated dealing with rattlesnakes the last place I kept my horses though I do know how to deal with them. I do know when I saw Kingsnakes 'around' the rattlesnakes tended to vanish from that area of the pasture. But don't know if that means because it was living out in nature out because it could smell it. I'm a lizard (Leopard Gecko) keeper, I would love a snake but the only way my mom is going to go for it is if the poor snake has a use other then being pretty and running up the electric bill.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I seriously doubt a kingsnake would do anything to deter the rattles. They would encounter that scent in nature.

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I did a little digging and did come upon info that stated they have been known to eat Western Diamond Backs and Cottonmouths. Not sure the validity of that but it also said they are somewhat immune to their venom.

4. Atroxus

Atroxus Well-Known Member

I doubt that just having a kingsnake would keep rattlesnakes away. If there were a few wild ones around they might help control the population of rattlesnakes nearby, since I have also heard that they have been known to eat rattlesnakes. I would certainly *not* recommend releasing captive raised kingsnakes(or any other animal) into the wild though.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Kingsnake eat any snakes, venomous or otherwise. But I doubt that they would be any sort of deterrent based on scent.
    If that were the case there would be no other snakes in their range.

AmityReptiles likes this.