This Disappears When Logged In

Strange Behavior?!?!

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by gapeachkatie, Feb 1, 2011.

1. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

The same green tree frog that broke her leg a couple weeks ago has been acting kind of strange. No matter what plant/branches are in the tank with her, Captain stays on the glass in the front corner. Along with that, on the days between feedings, she stays perched upside down most of time.

Here's a pic:
    [​IMG]

It has me worried about her. The tank temp in the top is at 77 degrees during the day and 68 at night. Her humidity stays above 75. As for her leg, it is healing on it's own pretty well. The swelling is gone, and she is able to move it more freely.

Still, anyone have a clue as to why she would stay upside down on the glass so much?

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I'm going to go out on a limb with some complete conjecture here.

Is it safe to assume she broke one of her rear legs? (not a front?)

Gravity. If you are upside down, there is less weight resting on your hind limbs. It might be her way of keeping weight off of the healing leg. Breaks take weeks to heal fully.

Is she still eating and defecating and doing everything else reasonably normally?

This is just a *guess*.

3. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

My thoughts exactly.

4. gapeachkatie

Yes, it was her hind left leg, you can see the bump on it. It is no where near as bad as it was two weeks.

I just think it is odd that on the day she eats she will sit normally, then the day between she sits upside down on the glass. It does make sense that it would help to keep weight off it though.

She is eating normally, if not a little more, and she is defecating normally too. Everything seems normal except for her hanging around upside down.

5. puzzlebean

puzzlebean Elite Member

Aww haha maybe she just wants a different perspective for awhile.

6. gapeachkatie

Quite possibly... All I know is I have never seen a frog act like this one. She is highly active during the day, actually rubs her belly after eating a worm, and now hangs upside down.

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Bat-Frog! She needs a theme song!

8. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Maybe she is elevating her leg above the heart to help with healing!
    Could be the yoga thing is catchy!

9. gapeachkatie

haha.. right now she is glued to the glass side ways, with the hurt leg on the high side. :)

As for the theme song, I am thinking spiderman music with the lyrics "She creeps and crawls. She sleeps on walls. That's right, she's Captain Frog!"

10. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

lmao @ you guys! :)