This Disappears When Logged In

Stop the Bill

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by leslielenee, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leslielenee

leslielenee Elite Member

Sign the petition to secure your right to own nonative animals!!!

Petition

2. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

I suggest people look into USARK. It was well worth the 30 bucks I paid.

http://www.usark.org/

I have to contact them, to get some info. i will be back.

3. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

Done!

4. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Wait. How come I never heard of this? How could they make it impossible to own reptiles in 5 years? How could they possibly enforce such a law? Maybe you guys can educate me on this. :)

5. MoogleBass

This is the same as the old bill HR6311, it was just reintroduced this year. What that petition is not telling you is there are 10 sponsors for this bill. I am waiting an email back before I post some info. In the meantime, sign up at usark.org to their mailing list to stay on top of it.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-669

6. leslielenee

leslielenee Elite Member

There were only 15 signatures on the list...

The bill is listed here

Bill

It is not stating that they are regulating importation But PROHIBITING importation...

Which isn't a bad thing for wild caught animals, but it is still our hobby that is protecting the extinction of these animals...

I don't know about you guys, but me being granfathered into a bill still means that my daughter might not be able to own a snake when she is older...

The bill is very vague...I don't think I want that kind of unregulated control going to senators and congressmen. There is a better way...I think they should find it!!!

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That is how they get such things passed. By not publicizing what they are doing. And they will frequently tack such measures onto other bills so that the general populace won't know about it.
    They can and do. They have been passing such bills on the state and local level for years. There are municipalities where it is now illegal to possess any of what they term "dangerous exotic species."
    They claim to outlaw dangerous constrictors for the public safety. But included in those "dangerous constrictors" are such deadly killers as cornsnakes!
    :rolleyes:

Read deeper. When they have their prohibited list you won't be able to legally breed or purchase any of the animals on the list. Neither will you be able to sell or trade the listed species. And if you move from one state to another you will not be able to take your animal with you:mad:

8. leslielenee

leslielenee Elite Member

I saw that!!!

Did you see this part

(5) NONNATIVE WILDLIFE SPECIES- The term ‘nonnative wildlife species’--

(A) except as provided in subparagraph (C), means any live species or subspecies of animal that is not a native species or subspecies, whether or not born or raised in captivity;

(B) except as provided in subparagraph (C), includes--

(i) any such live, wild species or subspecies of mammal, bird, fish, reptile, amphibian, insect, mollusk, crustacean, arthropod, coelenterate, or other invertebrate, and

(ii) any viable egg, sperm, gamete, or other reproductive material or offspring thereof;

(C) does not include any species that is--

(i) specifically defined or regulated as a plant pest or approved for biological control purposes under the Plant Protection Act (7 U.S.C. 7701 et seq.); or

(ii) defined or regulated as a threat to livestock or poultry under the Animal Health Protection Act (7 U.S.C. 8301 et seq.); and

(D) does not include any cat (Felis catus), cattle or oxen (Bos taurus), chicken (Gallus gallus domesticus), dog (Canis lupus familiaris), donkey or *** (Equus asinus), domesticated members of the family Anatidae (geese), duck (domesticated Anas spp.), goat (Capra aegagrus hircus), goldfish (Carassius auratus auratus), horse (Equus caballus), llama (Lama glama), mule or hinny (Equus caballus x E. asinus), pig or hog (Sus scrofa domestica), domesticated varieties of rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus), or sheep (Ovis aries), or any other species or variety of species that is determined by the Secretary to be common and clearly domesticated.

They are oxymorons!!!!

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

you know, under that bill, HUMANS should be banned from here as well. We meet all of those considerations.

(b) Factors To Be Considered- The regulations promulgated under subsection (a) shall include consideration of--

(1) the identity of the organism to the species level, including to the extent possible specific information on its subspecies and genetic identity;

(2) the native range of the species;

(3) whether the species has established or spread, or caused harm to the economy, the environment, or other animal species or human health in ecosystems in or ecosystems that are similar to those in the United States;

(4) the likelihood that environmental conditions suitable for the establishment or spread of the species exist in the United States;

(5) the likelihood of establishment of the species in the United States;

(6) the likelihood of spread of the species in the United States;

(7) the likelihood that the species would harm wildlife resources in the United States;

(8) the likelihood that the species would harm native species that are rare or native species that have been listed as threatened species or endangered species in the United States under the Endangered Species Act of 1973 (16 U.S.C. 1531 et seq.);

(9) the likelihood that the species would harm habitats or ecosystems in the United States;

(10) the likelihood that pathogenic species or parasitic species may accompany the species proposed for importation

10. MoogleBass

This bill is also not based on any scientific studies.

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Wow, no wonder they are trying not to publicize anything on it.

12. MoogleBass

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.