This Disappears When Logged In

Stitches the Amazon

Discussion in 'Emerald Tree Boa/Arboreal Boas' started by Theyeti, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Theyeti

Theyeti Member

well here she is... i took her out for a soak as i know she is dehydrated... she drank forever and seemed to be in a better mood.. well atleast i didnt bleed this time. i know to leave her alone but she was looking rough and has a little stuck shed. i feel a lot better now that she got some fluids in her. i know i paid for her but i count her as a rescue. her eye looks rough but hoping it will heal up, i couldnt get pics of it and didnt want to stress her out too much more then shes already been.... oh and her name is stitches

Attached Files:

2. Theyeti

Theyeti Member

ps. her colors are a lot closer to the pic with flash. she was sold as a calico but i dont see it. i dont really care what she is i think shes awesome looking

3. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Thats a very pretty atb!

Ive actually wanted to get into them but its too far fown the list right now.

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I have some empty tank syndrome going on, but the empty I have is not a great fit for an arboreal snake. These guys are still on my list though. They come in some pretty nifty color combinations.

5. Theyeti

Theyeti Member

If you do decide on getting one just do your research... I am in no way experienced with atbs but I'm hoping to gain some... This girl is ferocious but some aren't... I held another wild caught at the show and he didn't musk or even show interest in biting so from what I can figure they can't all be mean an nasty... But I wanted a challenge and don't mind the blood, and there has been a lot of it in the very short time I've had her... Calling the vets tonight about getting anti-parasitics cuz I can bet she has something.. for now she has the week off tho. thanks for the comments this is going to be a learning experience for me so if u have any tips for wc atbs I'd greatly appreciate it

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Do you suspect parasites because you see something suspicious in the feces, or because of a potentially underweight snake?

A vet (or anyone with access to a microscope) can do a fecal to find out for sure. Snakes can also get subcutaneous worms, which don't always turn up in a fecal exam, but will be visible as raised bumps on the skin. Many reptiles, even in captivity, carry pinworm (which is transmissible to people). It's irritating, but not life threatening. I'd still want to treat it though.

If you have a good relationship with your vet, and suspect intestinal parasites, you can probably just call them, and give them the current weight of the animal, and pick up some panacur later the same day for the parasites. For a snake, you typically inject it into the prey items. If a snake is underweight, the vet may choose to add in some vitamins and appetite stimulants to encourage it to eat, and to prevent malnutrition.

7. Theyeti

Theyeti Member

I suspect parasites just got the simple fact she is wild caught and the guy who sold her to me had dropped his price really far and I was able to talk him down even farther so I think he just wanted to get rid of her.. ( before she died) I know about panacur but I would like a checkup regardless. Her eye is messed up but is looking better. I don't think she is going to lose it but I think she's gonna need antibiotics.. she is also underweight and covered in stuck shed. I gave her another soak and she has become a little easier to handle. She is very alert and seems to be thriving well. I can't get a vet appt till next week so I'm going to feed her tommarro. She did poo while she soaked but it took a very long time and I had to help her a little. It's probably gonna take a while till she's a 100% but I'm gonna do all I can. I'll post a pic of her eye in a few

8. Theyeti

Theyeti Member

stitches good eye.jpg
    good eye

9. Theyeti

Theyeti Member

stitches bad eye.jpg
    here's her bad eye... let me know what you think.. it has gotten better and you can now see her actually eye moving underneath the damaged cap

10. Theyeti

Theyeti Member

Well an update... I thinks she's starting to finally adjust. She's not hiding on the floor nearly as much the last few days and I'm pretty sure she's going blue. I speculate the damage to her eye may have rushed the process as she had shed just a few weeks ago.